CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    RAPALA MAGNUM 9INCH SINKING TYPE SALTWATER TROLLING LURES
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RAPALA MAGNUM 9INCH SINKING TYPE SALTWATER TROLLING LURES
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I recently got some Rapala Magnum 9inch sinking trolling saltwater lures as a gift for my birthday. Both have the metal lip. Since I have these lures, I want to use them trolling on my upcoming 5 days long range trip out of San Diego for tuna, etc...What will be the proper way to connect the lure. If I tie mono directly to the ring, I fear the metal lip edge will cut the mono once a fish is hooked due to the pressure and circling action(s) of the fish. Should I attach a 6 inch to 12 inch 49 strand cable or wire leader to the ring to avoid this problem, or should I use a stainless steel snap clip a little longer than the metal lip with an appropriate strength corresponding to the size of the lure and the strenght of the line used. Also, I think a "snap swivel or ball bearing type swivels" may cause the lure to vibrate, rotate or even jump...Anyone encountered this problem before..I am looking for solutions and do anyone have any suggestions on how to set these lures up for trolling behind a long range boat....See Ya on the Big Water!!!!

Posts: 38 | Registered: 11 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Private boat fine, long range out of SD probably unacceptable. The boat trolls to locate a school usually. Once found then its fishing at the rail time. When trolling you'll be sharing the stern with 3 other guys and trolling speed will not necessarily be accommodating for a deep diver, and the skipper will not have patience to drag something which may foul other guys lines. Theres a chance the crew will let you use 'em, but odds are against that. Really they are dandy lures, just the wrong setting. But ask the crew, they may give a green light.

Rigging: I'd have a cable harness ready and also be prepared to string one up on mono. Use of a snap swivel recommended.

The lures are a much better option on a private boat or pangs rather than long range boat.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1538 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thank You for the info....If I get an opportunity to use it, I will give it a try. There is always a point on a trip when there maybe only one or two people trolling.... I got a couple of Halco Giant Tremblers I will use also....My last trip in July, the tuna and dorado were biting these things consistently, especially, the red & white ones....Again, as always, thanks for the advice....SEE YA ON THE BIG BLUE WATER!!!!

Posts: 38 | Registered: 11 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
The fleet almost always uses surface running lures. They troll too fast for most lipped lures. The Captains are mostly interested in getting to the next school of fish that they
will spot on the sonar. Troll fish are just a bonus. But trolling the deep divers can be very productive if and thats a big if you can get them to run stright. I recently bought two Rapala X-Rap 20's from the Charkster, purple for low or no light and the Sardine for daylight. On my latest 1 1/2 day'er I got the ok to run them if I could get them to run stright. Well that is a monumental task when you are trolling
at 12 mph. You can run them with a swivel or without one but I found that with this particular lure tying the line stright to the lure ring made a big difference helping it to run stright. Some deep divers run better with the seivel but the X-Rap with that large clear plastic lip tracks strighter with the mono tied to the ring. Rapals says that the lures are pre tuned to run stright right out of the box but at 12 mph nothing wants to run stright. After a little fussing with tuning the lure I obtained an acceptable track with the Sardine color unit.

Now nothing was getting knocked down on the troll the tuna were not in a chasing mood. running something below the surface puts the offering closer to the fish which will hopefully trigger a strike. Well the Rapala lasted about
10 min when it got hammered by a 28lb Yellowfin. That was the only troll caught fish for the day. I am a big proponent of trolling the deep divers but at present it is a difficult
task. But I just noticed that Rapala is comming out this fall with a high speed deep diver. Its supposed to be good to 15 mph. and dive to 20 ft. It's calle the
Clackin' Magnum. You can bet I will be purchasing several
when they hit the tackle shop.

I have found that running them in the corner is the best spot for them and you want to make sure you are the only one with a deep diver. Two of them can cause a mess in sharp turns.
But if you are the only one with a deep diver thing usually go pretty smooth because you will be far below the rest of the
spread, when the lines cross being underneath everyone else. Amd run it back no farther then the second wake because if it's too far back the top water lures which will turn a lot faster then your deep diver and will cross over your line that is on the surface and creat a tangled mess.

Over all running the deep divers demands your complete attention during your rotation. And like Mark says be sure the deck hands
know what you are doing.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post