CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    2 speed reels for bad backs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 speed reels for bad backs
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted
I have some lower back problems due to multiple car accidents that have gotten worse over the years. I am not going to let it get in the way enjoying my favorite hobby. It is getting to the point on wide open bites that I have to sit down after a couple tuna or yellowtail and I have to take pain medication. This year I'm going to invest in a lightweight Accurate 2 speed so I can gear down and reel when I am tired and the fish is straight up and down. At least we have the technology of small 2 speeds now. I plan on fishing until I drop dead but I may as well use technology to my advantage. It's sad when you hope your fish is not too big at the end of the day. I am going to have to get a harness set up too to distribute the force.

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 145 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Just saw this post. Randy Penny of Seeker reccomends the new Hercules models as they are more forgiving for bad backs. Just a thought.....

Posts: 760 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
I too have a similar problem (mine is neck issues, surgery, etc...)and like you I refuse to quite. I have converted most of my reels to 2-speed and it helps a bunch. I have a mix of Avet, Accurate, and Okuma; The Avets are my most used reels. The Avets cast better than the accurates by a little and have lots of power. When I'm going for larger fish or even deep jigging for yellowtail the accurate feels more powerful. The okuma andros is a sweet small reel too, it has more line capacity than an mxj and is smaller.
The Hercules rods are a nice choice, very forgiving with backbone. I also like the Phoenix and united composite rods. About half of my rods are 700 series cal star rods and they are a little harder on the neck than the softer rods.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 21 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
I took my 1.5 days loaded with a new Avet Raptor and an Accurate BX500N. It was a slow day and the fish were small. I did not need to downshift except on a bluefin on my trolling rod. Man I loved casting sardines with that Avet Raptor JX with 40lb. I might trade my Accurate for an Avet.

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 145 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post