New
Find
Notify
Tools

all purpose pliers
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
Been looking around for a pair of pliers that can cut heavy mono and at least 275/400lb wire. Have seen the luxury models but would like to spend that kinda money on a reel. Any particular single plier that you all might like for less than $150? thanks

Posts: 4 | Registered: 16 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
go to sears.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
The Okuma's on the weekly special look pretty good but are still 10x more than I'm willing to spend on fishing pliers. I carry a pair of needlenose and a pair of dykes in a holster on my belt and I think the holster is the most expensive component.

Posts: 164 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
Look at what 90% of the deckhands use.

High-Leverage Diagonal Cutters, there are several good brands out there and there's always Harbor F&T for us cheapskates.

I see guys that have $150 $200 super cutters/pliers and the funny thing is my $12 dollar pair of Shimano Dyke's work just fine and I'm going on year three with them.

Break down and order a set of Izor line dykes/pliers from Charkbait http://www.charkbait.com/cs/tools.htm you sure can't beat the price and they are stainless to boot.

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Please buy American Made products. We appreciate keeping our money here in this , my motherland!!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Just like with reels, cars...there are relatively inexpensive things that can do the same functions as more expensive ones. It's just that the higher end stuff does some of the stuff marginally better. End result can often be the similar but not the same. There are pliers and dykes, for what you're talking about doing the dykes are probably the way to go. Pliers without a separate cutter just won't get the job done. Cutting higher test mono and cable not a big problem. But, to cut mono cleanly, say for use through crimps when making up leaders AND for cutting high pound test cable...well that's going to be harder on cheaper stuff and there's no way your cuts will be "clean." Cutting the steel will probably screw up the edge enough to make a clean cut on leader problematic. However, if we're just trying to cut the mono, sure your cable cutters will get the job done. Like comparing expensive reels to inexpensive ones, they'll all get the job done. But, some will get the job done better than others and be better for specific uses.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1552 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post