New
Find
Notify
Tools

5/0 & 6/0 Reels
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I just got back from a 5 day fishing trip to Guadalupe Island and the fishing was outstanding. However, we had to pay our fees to the "landlords," the GREAT WHITE SHARKS, a many of times...Now, I am preparing for a 7 & 10 day trips for next year, and will be looking to get a 5/0 or 6/0 (2 speed) reel with some heavy duty guts...Any recommendations?

Posts: 38 | Registered: 11 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,
I assume you were aboard the recent Searcher trip; the "Taxman" was particularly hard on that excursion.
That reel terminology is a little imprecise.
Let us know when your 7-day will be [wahoo or no?] and when your 10-day will be [cows or no?].
Also let us know what [if any] tackle you currently own.
Sounds like you may already have all the light/medium gear you need.
Chances are, you will need at least two different 2-speed outfits; one to fish 40/50 pound topshots, and one to fish 50/60 pound topshots.
The above will handle any Guadalupe and Alijos Rocks-size tuna, and also any other "non-cow" tuna fishing needs.
If your 10-day is in the months of November to February, you will also need a heavy 100/130 pound 2-speed outfit for live-baiting the big boys.
Don't worry about purchasing anything for trolling and/or kite fishing, the boat will have gear for you to use when it is your turn.
Jig-fishing for wahoo also requires somewhat specialized gear, but it is possible that what you already have will work,
Give us more detail, and no doubt many readers [and probably Mark] will chime in.

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Big Fish
posted Hide Post
Go with one of the Okuma Makaira reels. They're solid and reasonably priced. In my opinion you can't go wrong with these reels. Hope you enjoy the longer range trips, they are a blast!

Posts: 73 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendation Big Fish and Steve...I currently have an Avet HX 5/2, LX 6/3 both in 2 speed, a single speed LX MC 6.1. I also have the Avet SX MC and MXL MC in single speed. The MXL worked great with my 8' Seeker rod hauling in the 15lbs to 30lbs yellowfin tuna...I also have a Penn Seanator 114H reel that I will be using for trolling...Yes, I will be fishing for some wahoo, yellowtails, more tuna and anything else I can get a "hook" into on these trips...I figured between now and then, I might get another "beefy" reel....See ya on the Big Water...

Posts: 38 | Registered: 11 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Mike,
You are in pretty good shape overall, and it looks like you are set for your 25 [SX], 30 [MX], 40 [LX], 50 wahoo/yo-yo jig [HX], and 80 trolling/dropper-loop [114H] tackle setups.
What you can still probably use are a 50/60 2-speed live bait reel for larger-grade Alijos Rocks and Guadalupe Island tuna.
Suggest a Penn International 12VSX 2-speed, filled with 625 yards of 65-pound or 525 yards of 80-pound braid; add short topshot of fluoro as the conditions dictate. Will even handle the occasional "mini cow" [150-199 pounder] that might surprise you at Alijos.
Pull on rods like the 765L, 700XH, and 800XH and feel for your own favorite.
You did not specify if your 10-day may be hitting the cows [200-plus pound tuna], but if it might, a Penn International 50VSX with a "stacked" line system, about 7/8 full of 130-pound braid, then about 25 yards of 200 pound braid, then your 100/130 pound fluoro topshot.
Again, pull on a bunch of rods, but "rail rods" like the 770XH, 770XXH, 2X4, etc are pretty popular.
You have now entered the world of long-range tackle addiction!

Pinhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okuma Makaira reels

Even I too agree..Okuma Makaira reels are one of the best reels...I mostly prefer using it..

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Bill-does that 12 VSX need a specially adjusted drag for that line or is it 'out of the box' ready?

Posts: 771 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
The 12VSX is ready to go "straight out of the box".
Absolutely no tuning, tweaking, or blueprinting needed.
Max drag at "Strike" is 24 pounds, Max drag at "Full" is 36 pounds, perfect for 40 to 60-pound mono/fluoro topshots, and tuna in the 50-150 pound class.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Very useful information, great post and excellent replies guys. Lot's of sage advice for anyone considering long range fishing.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1489 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Consultant
Captain
posted Hide Post
i bought a penn 12 vsx from charkbait before my last trip and had mark load it with almost 500 yards of 80# solid jb. great reel. the only thing i did was bolt on a larger handle grip. fished it straight out of the box and it worked great.

Posts: 74 | Registered: 02 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post