Find
Notify
Tools

Carbon Fiber
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
Chark,

Any interest in offering a Carbon Fiber built Rod option? United has a CF option but I notice it is not offered in the current UC menu. Any feelings about the CF built rods?

Mac

Posts: 33 | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Carbon fiber rods do transmit feeling much better than glass rods, but they are also much more brittle and inclined to snap. For big fish, I much prefer a composite rod made with both fiberglass and graphite fibers.

Posts: 258 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Six of one, half dozen of the other to me - I'm a fisherman not an engineer. I don't as much care how we get there as I am the end result of the effort.

In the USA graphite is what a carbon fiber material is most often referred to. Outside the USA it's more commonly called CF. Either way, it's carbon molecules arranged longitudinally into a "fabric" material which is cut and arranged along a mandril, baked with specific resins to fill the gaps and essentially make a uniform and strong final product. There are grades of graphite/carbon fiber, differences in those grades and differences in how the material is laid up to create a rod.

Lots of smoke and mirrors out there, and not all woven graphite (whops) carbon fiber is of the same quality. For instance we have seen some rods which look like they are using a high end graphite matt...that's actually nothing more than a sticker on a rod blank. Then there's the CP series from UC, makes use of some of the most expensive CF material - that good looking woven material which is darn expensive - in quantity, not just for dressing up the rod.

I'm with AK preferring use of both graphite (CF) and 'glass for saltwater rods. However, there's more to this than the material, there's also some art and design work. The Helix wrap process used by UC and the new Ahi rods from ToroTamer make use of that method of building a blank which creates a stronger end product with less ovaling under compression. A helix built rod can be incredibly strong, but still there's a qualitative factor about which grade of matt is used. And, there are differences in a helix wrap too, single or dual...

Probably we would do well having Randy from UC chime in. But, again he ain't no engineer, he's a master builder and uses a range of products in creating fishing rods. Honestly I'm not sure if there's any difference between a GF or CF material at all other than the words used. I'll gladly accept other more knowledgeable input.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1287 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post