CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    2015 Release Reels Surf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2015 Release Reels Surf
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
A line capacity of 300/20 mono is awfully close to the Newell 229 (sigh) and the photo shown suggests that the two reels have a similar profile on the rod. Is that correct? But I take it that the spool is much heavier, as the recommended payload weight starts at 3 oz. Is that correct?

Posts: 115 | Registered: 30 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Release shipped a half dozen to us at the end of last week, hoping for arrival in the next day or two. I can't provide much more info or images than what we have up on the site right now.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
We await your comments with breathless anticipation. Big Grin

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Well, they released a few, then found a problem... They have made the correction and are now finally sending the reels which should have arrived three weeks ago. (Shipment date was said to be this Friday - puts them here towards the end of the week and at that time we'll dissect them and see just how good they are). Took almost 2 years to finally produce the piece, you'd have thought it would have been ready for prime time. But, things can happen and with the reels in more folks hands, areas for improvement become more apparent. Glad they pulled back to get things right. Okuma has had similar result with the Metaloid and updated Andros 12 and 16 size reels. Those should also have been in good supply by now, but they too found a problem and have worked to correct it now rather than down the road. Both firms value their reputations, and know it's better to get it right even if that means not meeting delivery schedules. Only downside for us is that we've blown some advertising $ based upon expected delivery times...created some demand with no way to fill it.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Captain
posted Hide Post
If that's the worst sin you can manage, I think you're still good for Heaven. Most likely, anyway.

Big Grin

Captain
posted Hide Post
Thinking about it, I can't fault them for finding a bug late in the game, either. It's still a small shop and there are only a few people with hands in, elbow deep, and it's much better to ship a product late then a product flawed.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Yep, exactly. Very interesting pieces and one of the good things about the firm is it's size - it cuts both ways no doubt, but small can mean more responsive. They won't be for everyone, but they will appeal to those looking for a powerful small surf piece with enough drag and capacity to go after some interesting catches.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Captain
posted Hide Post
Nice to see the new photos. That gearbox is huge, just huge, the manufacturer's own photos didn't really show just how big it is.

As I'm mostly a plug and tin caster, I believe I'll wait for the recommended casting weight to drop below the three ounce minimum. That's more than most of my striper plugs weigh.