CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Calstar DeckhandSeries 850L Grafighter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calstar DeckhandSeries 850L Grafighter
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
What would you use this rod for if you had one
(party boats) light iron? Plastic? Big Baits?
I have a Daiwa Black Gold 30 for it.
Thanks, Jeff

Posts: 5 | Registered: 11 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Hi Jeff, I haven't fished that rod, but the match you suggest makes good sense. I'd be thinking 20#, and tossing lighter jigs like the smaller 544's and plastics.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1538 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark, I just received this rod from you last evening. I already love it and I have several rods 15 - 30 pound test. A golf pro and top fisherman uses a 900XL cut to 8 1/2 feet for plastics. Leon from Calstar always says no no no too light at the tip, so I ordered this from you. It should throw 1 to 1 1/2oz plastic perfectly! I have to fish the Eastern Sierras this week and then it's time to hurt some seabass with that stick! Great service from Charkbait and thank you! Jeff

Manager CB Huntington Beach shop
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeff
John here
I have the 800L its my favorite 20# rod.
I use it for plastics up to 3/4 oz and 4in and 5in swimbaits. I have a trigger reel seat on mine. I use a revo inshore with 30lb braid 20# leader.
also great for flyline small bait chovie etc
school size albies and smaller yellows great for halibut too.
for that I use a Saltist 20 spooled with 20# mono.
have fun with it

John Out
Charkbait HB

Posts: 10 | Registered: 02 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
In looking at the factory Calstar 850L I noticed extra long cork tape wrapped.
Leon most likely designed it so I can cut it down 6 inches if I don't like the extra length.
Most of my rods are 8' now. Seeker 6480 is a very nice 25 - 30# stick...
The extra cork is a nice touch although the rest of my rods are custom. This is a very nice factory wrap...