CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Avet (or other manufacturer) equivalent to Saltiga 50?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avet (or other manufacturer) equivalent to Saltiga 50?
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
I currently use Saltiga 50's for fishing in the Dry Tortugas off of Key West. For those not familiar, it's bottom fishing, but the Saltiga (and the Saltist, but I liked the Saltigas better, so went with them) are perfect, because of the higher gear ratio. You need a quick retrieve for this type of fishing, more so than cranking power.

Anyway, I'll be taking the girlfriend out for her first time to the Dry Tortugas, and wanted to get her her own setup. Was just going to get her the same gear that me and my brother use, but then figured I'd see if any manufacturer offered a quality reel that's equivalent to the Saltiga 50 specs, but that was offered in other colors (preferable pink).

Avet looks like it should do the trick, but with all of their models using letter designations, it's confusing to be able to tell them apart. What model is the closest in specs to the Saltiga 50? Or is there a different reel that y'all would recommend, that also comes in other colors? If it matters, the reel will be spooled with 30lb mono (I love braid, but it's not good for this type of fishing).

Thanks

P.S.- I've attChed the specs for the Saltiga 50

Posts: 2 | Registered: 17 August 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Star drag reels like the SA50 and lever drag reels are somewhat different, and don't lend themselves well to direct comparison.
Are you set on one style or the other? In most cases, star drags are favored for bottom fishing.
Assuming you want to stay with star drag in the "premium quality" category like you have been, the PENN Torque [star drag] TRQ40 is in your size class, and can be ordered [extra charge] in "tournament pink" through Charkbait via the PENN Custom Shop. Stock gear ratio is 6-1, but you can get interchangeable gear sets to put you at 5.4-1 or 4.8-1 as you see fit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve Carson,

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post