CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Avet G2 2 speeds VS raptors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avet G2 2 speeds VS raptors
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
I have a couple of raptors and really like them. I am bottom fishing here on the coast of NC for grouper snapper and Amberjacks and also the gulf coast of Florida for the same species. For my applications is there anything to be gained by going the raptor over the G2 2 speed other than a few pounds of drag? I am currently running regular G2s in an MXL, LX and HX. The raptors I have are an SX and an HXJ. The SX raptor has caught some nice 20 to 30 pound grouper and big AJs, and the HXJ has proven to be very useful. I do like the 2 speed option to use when you are fighting a big fish, just trying to square the extra cost of the raptor over the G2 2 speeds.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 20 April 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think the G2 models only make sense in single speed versions. Once you go two-speed, the price differential is so small that I'd definitely go with the Raptor.

Posts: 288 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
For me, the G-2's make more sense...for certain applications and line tests. Example: I fish my JX's more frequently than probably any other Avet's I own. I also have an MXL Raptor. My JX's are older, both 2 speeds, 1 first generation (really first gen with metal handle) my second has the MC feature. Given line capacity, for me the JX is something I want to fish both 40 and 50# lines on, don't need to go higher and really given capacity no reason to do so. First Gen, the JX's are capable of up to 15 lbs of drag, and that makes them 40# reels not 50. With a G2, the reel is more capable of fishing both tests very well with headroom. The Raptor version has even wider range, but I'll never use it given my preference for holding over 400 yds of line.

My MXL Raptor can cover the same range, call it 50# and down. BUT, it's gearing makes it better suited for say 40 and down. It's 4:1 in low, verses 3:1 on the JX. Doesn't sound like much of a difference, but you just won't have the leverage when needed. I got my butt handed to me by a bluefin I should have caught a few years back. Instead I was on the fish for over 4 hours, couldn't turn the fish's head. Andy and Nick on the Rooster both gave it a shot at the end, and both ended up in the same position I was. Finally pulled the hook, but sure wish that had happened a couple hours earlier... That's why I bought a couple Makaira 10's, 2:1 low ratio. Sized like a JX, cranking power like an HX.

What AK says is correct, the price difference once fully configured isn't all that much to go Raptor. But, you do have options with Avet in terms of how dressed up you want your new reel. For me with JX series on down, the G-2 is where I'd go. At LX and above, the Raptor makes more sense. But, this is very subjective stuff. Personal preference, application, long term ownership, you have a few things to think about before committing your $. One thing for sure, good gear can last a long time, so a difference of a few bucks isn't that great once you consider long term ownership. I'm still fishing Avet's that I've owned for well over 10 years...

It's all about application.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1489 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post