CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Right vs Left Spinning Reel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Right vs Left Spinning Reel
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
I am confused about the naming conventions for left vs right spinning reel. If I am holding the reel foot with my left hand and the handle is on the right. Is this a left or right spinning reel?

Posts: 6 | Registered: 31 March 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
By convention, if you hold the rod with your right hand and reel with your left hand, you are fishing right handed with a spinning reel. With a bait caster or conventional reel, if you hold the rod with your left hand and reel with your right hand, you are fishing right handed.

Posts: 279 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
It's a great source of confusion, but in practice one can make some sense out it. It's all about your power side and the ability of the reel to gain line back. It's based on technique and power, most folks strength/power side.

Given spinning reels are typically one speed, and fairly high at that, and most folks power is in their right hand side - you'll use your power side (right arm/hand) to hold and pump the rod to gain back line. On a conventional reel, you'll be cranking with your powerhand, grinding away on the crank. You can stil pump and wind, but with a lower geared conventional you can grind away. On a spinning, most guys power belongs with the rod rather than grinding on the crank. On a conventional reel put your power on the crank, you can still pump and wind, but the winding has more power.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1447 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post