Notify
Tools

Testing with TSI
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted
Things I do when I get bored.

It is time to service my reels again so I decided to do a little testing with the synthetic lubricant TSI 321. I use this on my spool bearings to increase freespooland all other bearings are packed with Cal's grease. I have always used Corrosion X and it works good on my bearings, as well on other fishing stuff where corrosion can be a problem but this time tried something new. So far only doing one reel tonight, which is pretty much new and was oiled with the X, my freespool time has increased three fold after cleaning out the old oil with brake cleaner and installing the TSI. I'll post more info after doing some more testing.

Well I now have serviced 12 reels with the TSI 321 and all I can say is wow. This stuff is slick and I have increased freespool at least twice as long on some reels and in a few tripled or more the reels freespool time. This should help in casting light baits such as pinhead anchovies but the biggest pay off I see will be in live bait presentation especially if a long soak is required. Even the slightest drag on the line is highly magnified on the bait as more and more line comes off the reel. With my Southern California/Baja fishing areas where live bait is the norm casting is one thing, but you can only get the spool moving so fast, I see the biggest payoff in having a lively bait swimming well after others are not.

Posts: 399 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark, does seem like interesting stuff. That's the lubricant the folks making the Makaira SEA's are using.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1276 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Yes Mark it is sort of the same stuff. Okuma says it uses TSI 301 but I used TSI 321. The 301 has a solvent mixed with the lube and 321 is just strait lube. For me I saw no need for the solvent as I used brake cleaner first to clean out the old oil and grease from the bearings.

Last night I did one more reel my TLD 30II with after market frame, drag plate and handle. The reel already had very freespool with 1 minute and 30 seconds of freespool time, so I wasn't sure I was I needed to do it, but I went ahead and did it anyway. Now the freespool time is 2 minutes and 40 seconds.

Now with all my reels done all I'll need to do is watch out for the backlashes while casting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SoCalAngler,

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Was a little sceptical about Marks results
until he came over and gave my Squall 15
the TSI321 treatment. I could not believe it,
the free spool time about tripled. Was expecting
an improvement but 3X was beyond expectations.
Mark did a great job and I am appreicative of his free spooling skills.

Took the reel on out on the Mirage rock fishing but did not have a chance to take advantage of
the improvements. Can't wait to fly line
a big fat speedy sardine.

Thankx Mark!
Walt

Posts: 342 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Alan Tani is a big fan of the TSI lubricants and has been helping people get ahold of the 321. If it works for Alan it works for my reels too!

Posts: 164 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
John,

Not trying to "repair" anything, just trying to get maximum freespool out of my reels. When flylining bait and casting very good freespool on your reels can result in more hookups.

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Finally had a chance to give my Squall 15
that had the TSI treatment by Mark a workout.
On a 1 1/2 day trip it performed beyond
expetations. It improved my casting distance
for a sardine by at least 15 yds and made
free spooling line to the bait almost
effortless. Can highly recommend the TSI
treatment for your reels.

Walt

Posts: 342 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Consultant
Captain
posted Hide Post
great post!

been using it for a while now. been very impressed with it's performance. a friend of mine, jim nomura, dropped by with a can of tsi 301 and said "try this." been using it ever since. tsi 301 is one part tsi 321 lubricant with several more parts cleaning solvent. either product is fine.

Posts: 74 | Registered: 02 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post