New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pro Gear Reels
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
I have seen Pro Gears on eBay, and they look like nice, high quality reels. I know they discontinued these reels so can anyone give me any history on who made them?

I've never used these reels so, I don't know how they perform. If these reels are worthwhile I have some friends lined up to sell my Avet LX to so I can get one, because I'm 13 and don't have a job to just pay for another reel.

Are they good reels?
How do they work in the real world?
Are they worth looking into?

Give Me Your Opinions,
Kevin

Posts: 13 | Registered: 20 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Pro gears are good, but all things considered-I would keep the Avet. parts are available, as is service. It is also a better reel.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Notice that the previous owner is selling them? What does that tell you????

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I have both, although I havent yet tested the new MC version of Avets. Having fished the older style Avets they are really something. I will never give up my Pro Gears though (or my Newells) seems that the Pro Gears are indestructible and turn alot of drag - especially for a smaller size star drag and smooooth too!!!!

Posts: 153 | Registered: 24 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Early Pro Gears had some corrosion issues. That said, they are great reels, although since the company is out of business, getting parts in the future will be problematic.

Posts: 302 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post