New
Find
Notify
Tools

greasing avet drags?
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
First off, what is the general consensus on greasing the Avet drags? Is the increase in smoothness worth the sacrifice in consistency? If it is a good thing, can someone direct me to a tutorial?

I tried searching for this topic, but I didn't see it....If I am pulling off an old scab from a previous debate, please just direct me there.

The impossibilities are endless!!!

Posts: 40 | Registered: 28 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
I know it was covered well on another web site. Here is a link. http://www.bloodydecks.com/for...ease-not-grease.html

Mark, if this does not belong here please delete

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Avet drags are glued to the spool and don't really work wet as well as most others. I just thought i would plop that one in your lap just to make this topic get boiling !!! I heve never had a bad trip, or worn out my drag and have used AVET reels for 3-4 years. Maybe this will change but let me just say, DON"T WORRY ABOUT THAT . Just buy some beer and a Western outdoors magazine and LEAVE THE REELS ALONE !!!! Go play with your dog instead. AVET REELS work great as they come from factory, My HONEST OPINION!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link SoCal, I was reading the thrad at BD, but I get lost sometimes sorting thru some of the personalities there...I don't visit often enough to "read" through the sarcasm :-)

From what I have seen on the Charkbait site, they are the "go to" place for Avet, so I thought I would inquire here...they sell a bunch, so their customers must have a good bit of experience....

I would prefer not tinkering with the reel much...that never seems to work out for me with anything...since it is usually after the beer Crown Vic mentioned!

2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I maintain my Avets,but never grease the drags,they work fine and ''if it's not broke...''

Posts: 27 | Registered: 08 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
Alan Tani is one of the best around at fixing reels, http://alantani.com/index.php?...fv4s3q4fnhnt20fbli0& you might contact him about the issue.
http://alantani.com/index.php?...t20fbli0&topic=168.0

From what I remember Avet doesn't like greasing the drags to the point where as I recall they would not honor the warantee on the reel if you greased the drags. (This may have changed)

The big issue with the glued drags is that the salt water gets under the drag and corrodes the spool this then results in the need to return the spool to Avet to have the washer removed and replaced professionally.

Or you can just buy a whole new spool complete with new dry drag washer ready to corrode all over again.

I've never had a problem with an Avet, I don't own one but I think they are the greatest reels in the world.

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Mr Tani posted on that "other forum" that he greases the drag, which was in direct contrast to the Avet rep. Does the grease make the corrosion issue better or worse? If you do grease, do you have to change your cleaning/maintenance habits?

Consultant
Captain
posted Hide Post
i think rick and i have agreed to disagree. my concern is corrosion resistance. rick has other concerns. nice guy, actually! met him a couple of times. great reels, too!

Posts: 74 | Registered: 02 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the feedback...I can understand the potential benefits you are seeking Mr Tani, is there a downside to greasing the drags other than some potential inconsistecy? Can the corrosion issue be remedied by increased/different maintenance?

As i posted in another thread you guys helped me with, I have the LX 2 speed on a 700m sppoled with spectra and 40 mono top shot as an all-around set up....For someone that fishes mostly private boats and hopefully a multi-day trip soon, what would be the next most useful addition to the quiver. So far, I have mostly been going after tuna and YT, but looking to expand. Would you go down to something in the 20# class and add 30# floro to the LX if needed, or would you go to a 30# set up and drop to 20# floro on it if needed?

Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
I would use one of the jig masters you already have (I think you said you had two) matched with the best 30lb rod out of the two you have as a 30lb setup. When you have 30lb covered.

For me, my next setup would be for 20lb. I would use this setup local for the 3 b's, small yellows and skittish tuna.

There are plenty of reels in the 20lb range that are both inexpensive and well built. In addition, you can get good rods either new or used for 20lb that don’t cost a whole lot. I fish mostly with glass rods. I do have some composites and love them but glass works just fine for me also.

I know you said that you are just starting to put together your gear and want to try to keep costs down but just changing out floro isn’t always the best answer.

2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thx SoCal, I took a good look at what i had the jigmasters on...#1 is an Ugly Stic USCB 1170M (15-30 lb) #2 is a Penn Sabre Stroker PMR700 (20-50 lb). The Penn Sabre Stroker, from what I understand is a distant cousin of the actual Calstar/Sabre rods. Penn bought the names and began making rods. From what i have read, they are decent rods...anyone have experience with them?

I am leaning towards leaving the 30# on the Penn rod, as it has more backbone. The ugly stick is a bit low in the weight class, so I am thinking a 20lb reel for it. I seem to recall the Jigmasters not doing very well w/ 20# line. The line would get between the spool and frame.

In the Avet line, what would you guys recommend between the SX and the MX for a 20# reel? What is the benefit to the narrower reels offered, or is it just feel?

Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
MD,
It sounds like you have a good plan with the setups you already have. It looks like the match ups are right in line with what you want to do.

With the “best” Avet reel for 20lb that’s hard to say. Some people like the SX, others like the MXJ or the MXL. The drags are the same in all three reels and I believe the line capacity is the same on the SX and MXJ while the MLX offers more line yardage.

Some people like a more narrow spool (MXJ) so you don’t have to thumb the line over a wider spool.

If you can go down to the Chark shop with the Ugly Stick and try on different reels and see what feels and fits best for you. While there you can also look at different manufactures like Newell and Daiwa Sealine for more cost effective pricing, Daiwa Saltist, Penn and the Avets. All mentioned are great reels for that you are looking for.

The best reel for one person may not the best to another. There is so many features like cast control, level wind, clicker and others it will really come down to what works best for you.

2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Your info is too good...it creates more questions though :-) I noticed several different gear ratios...from what I understand the higher the ratio the faster it reels up...on a 20# rig, would I be wise to be throwing much iron, needing the faster retrieve? What would be a good starting point, gear wise, for a 20# set up, or is that another chevy/ford question?

I guess the question I have is really, which one to start with?

I'm down in San Diego, so I probably won't be driving up to Charkbait to try reels on, and I'm not sure any of the stores down here allow that...I become more impressed every time i log in here!

2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
OK, I went and checked out the different reels...I wound up ordering the mxj...thanks to all for your input. I just have one question now....do I grease the drag?!?!?! Just Kidding!!!!

Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
MD what MXJ did you get? Was it the 5.8 or the two speed, magged or not? Just curious.