CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Okuma Nomad interchangeability...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okuma Nomad interchangeability...
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I ended up paying what I thought was an exorbitant price to fly to Cabo with a six-foot rod case and decided to get a travel rod. I purchased a Okuma Nomad from Charkbait a while ago and have been testing it on my son-in-law's boat during the recent tuna run and love this rod.

I would like to have two rods available for my next East Cape trip and would like my second rod to be heavier. I plan on soon purchasing a second Okuma, this time a Nomad Express NTx-C-703MH to use with my Avet JX two speed reel.

My question is are the tips interchangeable. In other words, could I also use either the L or ML tip on the NTx-C-703MH base. That way, I could fish with a 20-pound rig and a 30-pound rig at the same time using the bases of both rods and the tips from the L-ML rod.

This would be less expensive than purchasing a Nomad NTi-S-703M-MH as my second rod. If I cannot work this way, I will bite the bullet and get the NTi-S-703M-MH.

BTW: could I safely use a 40# topshot with the ML tip? That would mean about 10# of drag on a MXJ Raptor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RPCROWE,

Posts: 32 | Registered: 18 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Just got back from an eight day'r and today we're closed for Vet's Day. SO, give me a day and I'll try to check for you. I'm thinking that there's more than just the tip that changes...

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1276 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
It appears that my AVET MXJ Raptor is too narrow to fit on the ALPS reelseat so I will be using my JX 2-speed with 65# braid and a 40# topshot of mono. I will switch from 25# to 40# fluro when switching from the L to ML tip.

The quality of this rod is just great!

I have a Penn Battle spinning reel that I might take to the East Cape. I am thinking about a Nomad spinning rod. I feel drawn to the inshore model but, might just get the standard Nomad L-ML spinning rod because the inshore models might just be too light for YFT and large yellowtai,.

Posts: 32 | Registered: 18 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Sorry, very much got sidetracked once I got back to the shop. Looks like we've sold out of one of the rods you wanted to compare while I was out on the RRIII charter. So I could not double check whether the tips would fit between models mentioned. On the surface, the guys at the shop were doubtful, but really I need to double check for you to be sure. We've got more on order, will try to check the fit once stock catches up.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1276 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post