New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local TUNA gear
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
Been away from the so cal tuna scene for many years. Moved to AZ and am now close enough to get on some trips.... I have PENN 525 star drag and 545 LD. Will these still be adequate for 1.5-2 day boats in May-Sept. I have noticed PENN came out with SQUALL series, I guess it is the replacement for what I have...

Can I put spectra on these reels I have and top it with Fluro?

I am itchin for some fishin... Your help is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 06 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Those reels can do you fine. The little 525 is very much similar to the small Squalls, the LD certainly has been updated more dramatically with better options from Penn. But, both are capable reels for what you intend and both can benefit from braid topped with FL as you suggest.
Great Stuff<
Mark

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TunaShuffle:
Been away from the so cal tuna scene for many years. Moved to AZ and am now close enough to get on some trips.... I have PENN 525 star drag and 545 LD. Will these still be adequate for 1.5-2 day boats in May-Sept. I have noticed PENN came out with SQUALL series, I guess it is the replacement for what I have...

Can I put spectra on these reels I have and top it with Fluro?

I am itchin for some fishin... Your help is greatly appreciated.

Your timing is perfect, and as the anchovies cycle back into our local bait supply, your 525 is just about the perfect choice to toss the little devils at school-size tuna of any species.
Just make sure its lubed and mechanically sound and you're good to go.
As Mark mentions, the lever drag models have been updated substantially from your 245LD [not 545].
You may want to consider a 2-speed for your "40-pound combo", and something like the Penn TRQ25NLD2 would handle that work nicely.

Posts: 245 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
OK. Had to double check my gear... I have Penn 535, 545GS and 225LD... I have a Penn 7' Boat Combo, Seeker 270-7' Classic, and a 7'6" friend said CalStar(?)..

Since we don't have any nice fishing stores with knowledge or product around Phoenix.

How quickly would you be able to load all 3 reels with braid and top with fluro in #20 #30 #40. Also rough est $$$... I found my receipt for all my equip and I purchased them from your HB location.

I am trying to arrive a day early but might not be able to arrive until morning of trip.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 06 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
You would want to allow an hour for rigging, and best to do the day before if at all possible. You can get an idea of spooling costs just by looking at the different line's pricing, probably ranges from about 12-22 cents per yard depending upon what you're putting on the reels. Our SD shop is closed on Sundays and Mondays and does not open until 10am - so better factor that into the equation.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
You may have already spooled up your 525 but if not here are my thoughts. As above the 525 is for sure a capable reel for the task. But there is an issue to consider. That is line capacity. I would for sure back up with all the spectra you can stuff on that reel and try and not go over 50lb test, I prefer 40lb. There are some Blue Fin Tuna in the local mix pushing 100 lbs. Quite a few 70 pounders were landed last year and a lot of larger units lost. And if not comfortable with the knot join between spectra and fluoro be sure to have the pros at Charkbait do it for you. That knot is the toughest knot in fishing to do right.
The Charkster has an excellent video posted on how to do it and live.
Best of luck this year, I haunt those local trips hope to see you.
Walt

Posts: 342 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I have a Squall SQL25N star drag and have been told that with the drag-set in the "heavy" position, it is adequate, if backed up with some sort of braid for a 40# test outfit. It certainly casts nicely...

Posts: 32 | Registered: 18 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post