Notify
Tools

Welded rings.
 Login/Join

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of tanglediver
posted
I have for a long time wished to make my own rings. They always appear to be brazed on the iron jigs in my estimation. All the same, I want to give it a try with some 316/316L stainless rod in 1/8" diameter that I picked up. I can braze or weld them, it should be simple enough. The only hindrance I foresee is in the case of heat sensitive materials. I suppose my question is, does anyone have any input concerning materials and joining techniques for ordinary rings that will work in saltwater tackle? The impetus stems from the need to change old hooks on good swimming jigs. I went to mostly single hooks on a lot of jigs many years ago. You can buy siwash hooks with open loops, or use split rings, neither of which seemed very impressive to me.
I'm going to try to find time and make a few rings and see what happens.
Thanks!

The light of the eyes rejoices the heart, and a good report makes the bones healthy.
Proverb 15:30

Posts: 119 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I answered all of these questions to myself when I bought a kit for brazing rings from SurfaceIron.com. They sell individual components as well as the kit. I do not believe Charkbait sells these lies.

Posts: 302 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of tanglediver
posted Hide Post
Thanks AK.
I am starting from scratch, gonna do my own trial and error. I've seen plain rings for sale, but I will try with my own jigs to weld them in place.
Thanks again.

The light of the eyes rejoices the heart, and a good report makes the bones healthy.

Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Hi, I just joined the board here and saw your request for welded rings. I have done quite a few jigs over time . The 1/8 inch stainless is quite large for a ring. Most are between .093 and .074 in diameter. A good source for ring material is at a bike shop. You can get un finished DT stainless spokes in 14, 15 or 16 straight gauge , I mostly use 14 and 15 guage, it is a very good stainless. I Tig weld them using .045 stainless filler rod. You could also silver braze them using a 45% silver brazing material. Another source for stainless wire is from a local welding supply company. They carry 316 stainless filler rod in .045, 1/16 , 3/32 and 1/8 diameters in 1 pound lots. Hope this helps

Posts: 1 | Registered: 25 July 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of tanglediver
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanks a lot! Sounds reasonable enough, I can always use the 1/8" stock for many other things. I will try my local bike shop for some spokes when I get a round tuit. This is just one of those projects that fill the off season, or inbetween trips.

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of tanglediver
posted Hide Post
In search of the next greatest gizmo...