CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Question on Penn 130vsx, Accurate atd130
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Penn 130vsx, Accurate atd130
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
Would there ever be a need for a 130 reel on a long range trip 16-23 day? I don't see them listed on any of the charter boat websites as recommended tackle, I don't see them listed here on charkbait as recommended tackle. So I guess I just want to know is there ever a need for them on a San Diego long range trip?

Posts: 7 | Registered: 04 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
No, LORDY NO!!
I've used an ATD80 on the kite and that was just brutally heavy. Sure it had 1000yds of 200# spectra, but not a fun reel to fish . . . 130?!?! Nooooooo.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 29 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
No, it would be much too large for anything they do, even kite fishing.
The 130-size reels are generally only used for sportfishing in areas where "granders" [1,000 pound fish] are around, such as Hawaii or Northern Australia for marlin, or Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia for bluefin tuna.
Some parts of the world also see a fair amount of "rod and reel commercial" action, and they are also used there, but the newly-reissued 14/0 Senator is more popular for that application due to cost and pure abuse-handling issues.

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post