New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chunking Question
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
Need some recommendation on line setup. I will be chunking for YFT in the 50-100lb range in the Gulf on a party boat. Reel will be a HX 5/2, was plannning to load 65lb spectra, then some 50lb mono, then a short 60lb flouro. How does that sound? Any other suggestions?

Posts: 11 | Registered: 04 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I'd go with 80#. I've made a number of trips out of Texas and started using 65#. The 80# is an improvement. You may need a large spinning reel to fish poppers. Most of the yellowfins I catch over there are on poppers. Conventional reels will work if your comfortable with them. I just find the spinners easier to hit moving fish. I assume you'll be fishing the rigs. Good luck

Posts: 114 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Which of Chark's new topwater lures would you recommend?

Captain
posted Hide Post
I like the largest Strike Pro. I avoid the Yozuri. I had a large tuna tear the treble off the Yozuri during the fight. Color really doesn't seem to matter. I use a Terez model TZS69XHFL and Saragosa 18000. For the money I like the Saragosa.
I have many other spinning reel brands and like the Shimano midprice spinners best. Which boat are you going on? I may have fished it and could give advise on what to bring.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Advice* gonna hire a typist

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I will be on the 80hr trip in mid Oct on the Dolphin out of Dolphin Docks in Port Aransas. One thing that is bugging me, they say "No Braided Lines". What is your experience with that? I like the extra capacity I get with braided lines.

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
EG , most of us fish straight mono or 100yd topshots of mono for added capacity . We don't have a problem jigging with braid but chunking is a different story . When everyone is fishing mono it's easier to take care of tangles . In a braid vs mono fish tangle the braid most often wins . Some boats don't like braid because it is abrasive and can damage the props/shafts on the boat .

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post