CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Wire Frame vs. Foul-proof Guides
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wire Frame vs. Foul-proof Guides
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
While watching a show about long-range tuna fishing I noticed that most of the rods had wire frame guides. When I looked on Seeker's website some of their rods had wire frame guides also.

Being that I frequent piers and party-boats on the East Coast, I see rods that have foul-proof or "snake" guides. Star Rods, based out of Stuart Fl. have foul-proof guides on some of their "boat" rods that are 7 to 8 feet and have moderate actions. Heavy shark rods, such as the Harnell 557 that are 10' 80-Unlimited have a roller guide, then foul-proof guides, then a roller top.

What is the cause of the difference?

Which do you prefer?

Give me your opinions,
Kevin

Wire frame guides on a Seeker rod

Foul-proof guide

Posts: 13 | Registered: 20 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Can't provide a good answer for you. The guide you showed is something some of our Hawaiian guys like for long casting to Ulua - similar designs. But, that's not what's used out here on the big boats for tuna. I've yet to see anyone screw up (foul) a cast using our traditional West Coast rods. So, they may indeed be foul-proof, but that's not the source of problems based upon what we're doing. I don't have much more feedback to provide, maybe one of the other guys can share more background/opinions.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1554 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
That ain't nuthin' but a TEXAS PAPER CLIP my friemd!!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
My problem with foulproofs is that when they bend they dont come back. I have used the Perfection stainless for years with no problems. I rebuilt a Harnell with foulproofs that grooved and deformed on small tuna. I won't use them again.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I've built/used rods with foul-proof guides because with other guides, when the line twist, it won't get stuck around the guide and break off the fish.

The reason I prefer to use them for shark fishing off the beach in Florida, is because I can reel the splice and/or swivel right through them without any issue because there is no ring. But, I assume I could do the same thing with wire framed guides

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
I have used both guides . All of our rental Rods have the foulproof guides . We have caught 200+lb Tuna on them and the version that we use has not let us down . They have to be the heavier wire or they will tweak . Sizing the heavy wire is also a problem towards the tip top as they don't make them small enough . We have some rods that have been fished 20 years or more . I think that it's just a preferance thing as they both work .

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Ol Pedro,
I agree with you, the heavier Pac Bay guides, as opposed to the American Tackle guides, are necessary. Although the Pac Bay guides are heavier, American Tackle makes more sizes. They make them from size 25 to size 6.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Just as a side note, some of the Ulua guys from Hawaii also prefer that style guide (or something darn similar) for use on their dedicated Ulua long rods for shore use. I can't speak to their overall application for what we do out here, never seen that guide set on a long range boat. Could be more applicable for shore casting...?

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1554 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I, and almost everyone else, uses these guides on piers because when we cast "fish finder" rigs (anywhere from 50 to 100 yards) we use these cause they foul-proof factor. As I've learned, it really sucks when the line tangles around the guide.