CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Gym Workout...what exercises should i focus on?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gym Workout...what exercises should i focus on?
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
I got whooped on by some fish early on my first 10 day boat. I know I was out of shape because by the end of the trip I had actually gained 1/2 inch on my forearms. I'd like to be better prepared for an 18 day I'm doing in April. Any suggestions as to gym exercises? I don't want to hand any rods off because i"M out of shape.

Vince

Posts: 1 | Registered: 31 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
tie a bimmini to 25 lb weight and throw it off the peir, wind this weight up and down for 45min to 1-1/2 hrs, then yell "color" really loud , don't forget the monoply money to give to "The Crew" and for the fish cleaning process!!! If this becomes too easy, have a few friends join you with their weights and go under and over each other going round and round, THUS , then you're going to be ready !!!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Crunches, Curls and riding a bike.

Vince, you have really crossed over to the dark side. You should watch yourself very closely you might end up giving up that river fishing thing if your not careful. Naw--- I don't think so.

Get Bent

Posts: 77 | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Cardio is very important. Here is simply what I do:
1) I get a wooden dowel and tie a piece of rope to the middle of it and on the other end a weight. The rope needs to be long enough so that when your arms are extended straight out, the weight just touches the floor. Then with your arms extended, wind the weight slowly up till it touches the dowel and then slowly unwind it. As your forearms get stronger, increase the weight.
2) I walk a lot at a fast pace. As I walk, I also carry a 10# weight in each hand. Walking in this way, increases your cardio plus continues to strengthen your hands and forearms.
3) Finally, I do a lot of stretching of my arms, my torso and my legs.

For by your words you will be aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matt 12:37

Posts: 191 | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Just fish more often. Vertical jigging also helps.

Posts: 114 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Most of the workout tips are good ones I'd just like to add something a little different. When you do hook a fish try to relax as much as you can. I know it is hard to do but with less tension in your muscles they will not be fighting each other and will be more focused on fighting the fish. I know I feel much more at ease, don't expend so much energy and have a faster recovery time when I make a point of trying to relax during a battle. Remember breath thru your nose as much as you can. Good luck on your trip.

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Picture of PSGIDAHO
posted Hide Post
VHawk:

I am glad SoCal brought up this point. BY FAR the most important thing you can do when you hook a big fish is RELAX.

When a fish begins to run, just hang on, let him do his thing, be calm, breathe through you nose, and relax. In cow situations, it will be a much easier fight if you take your time, let your gear work for you, listen to your deckhand, and put the hurt on it when the time is right. Remember fighting a fish the "smart way", not the "hard way" will produce positive results.

Also remember, you will be on many fish on an 18 day trip. Take care of yourself. Eat right, hydrate yourself, sleep right, and keep a positive outlook. If you do, positive results are sure to happen.

Good Luck!

Posts: 20 | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Crowne-if I saw you guys doing this I'd be looking for the Candid Camera......otherwise not a bad idea......all the laughter would help with the relaxing, too!

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SDTuna09
posted Hide Post
I am on a 12 day this fall so at the gym I was introduced to TRX - http://www.trxtraining.com/trx...?Screen=trx-training

This is all about your core and uses your own weight to complete the routines. It is simple and the work outs are as hard as you want them to be.

Try it you just might find your stronger than you think.

Secondly...Lactic Acid build up is why you and I have to RELAX and let the gear do the work.
http://www.scientificamerican....oes-lactic-acid-buil

I was a spastic on my first cow and paid a serious price at the corner during the final circles. Problem was I fought against the gear and the fish. No smart actually very stupid on my part.

Guys Jan Howard has caught a tremendous number of cows and the lady is skilled and uses techniques vs brawn. Read some of her exploits and learn.

SDTuna

Posts: 248 | Registered: 05 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDTuna09:

I was a spastic on my first cow and paid a serious price at the corner during the final circles. Problem was I fought against the gear and the fish. No smart actually very stupid on my part.

Guys Jan Howard has caught a tremendous number of cows and the lady is skilled and uses techniques vs brawn. Read some of her exploits and learn.

Experience and technique is FAR MORE important than muscle mass.

Watch others on fish, talk to the other anglers traveling down south, talk to the crew. As long as you're not a complete wreck you can catch cows without too much problem, you just have to get some experience.

You might want to consider purchasing or borrowing a harness and plate and learning how to use them. Seems all the women I've ever fished with on cow trips always use the harness and do very well. Could it be because they don't have a bunch of macho ego invested in the "I'm a rail guy", I use both, sometimes at the same time. Each angler has to develop their own style.

If you're hooked up and there's a crewman standing near (there will be) ask him to coach you.

Good luck on your trip.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 29 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
FYI- on Pakula website there is an area with training exercises. Geared for standup w/ harness.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by txwoody:
FYI- on Pakula website there is an area with training exercises. Geared for standup w/ harness.

THAT'S SOME GREAT STUFF!!
I'd never seen that site before and the articles under training are excellent.
Thanks!!!!

Posts: 20 | Registered: 29 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Hi.

Bulk ain't what it's about.
As said. Technique and stamina.

Learn to work your rod and reel first.
I practice with my game rigs in Garage.
3.0/5.0 reel 15\20kg drag tied to tow hitch on car.
Pump and wind. Get a rythm going.
20 or 30 min's of that at a time. smooths out your drag. and builds your stamina.
A Headset and some good rock music helps the rythm too.

Personally I do my main exercise etc, in the Outrigger Canoes. (6 man crews) Great exercise. builds up all your muscles and stamina. Evenly.
Dragon boats or rowing will do same thing.

I'm 70 yesterday. Paddle with the 45\50 yr olds. and hold my own with most. fishing and paddling.
Try some deep jigging too with heavy jigs.
That'll get your technique going.
Or you wont pull more than two drops or so..

Have fun.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 06 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post