CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Go to Surface Iron Color:
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Go to Surface Iron Color:
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted
Time for a poll

Question:
Pick a color - any color - what get's bit most often regardless of species

Choices:
blue and white
scrambled egg
sardine
mint
other

Posts: 166 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
reel veal, i picked the blue and white.

its a guarantee kill.

never leave home without 5 or 6 lol.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
As my buddy Spike on the RRIII says - "Blue and white - if you want a bite!"

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
This may be why....
Red to the far right penetrates the least going to Blue & Violet on the extreme left which pentrates the most. Check the coefficient of absorption on vertical axis, it tells the whole story.

The Blue maintains it brilliance and color much deeper then other colors.

Facts for your consideration.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
Walt,

Are the fish taught this color scale in school?

I'll be throwing the entire kitchen sink at them next week on the RP. My theory is if the action isn't there - color doesn't mean a thing.

RV

Captain
posted Hide Post
Cool! These data suggest that violet (rather than pink) would be most visible for deep-water jigging (assuming the targeted species are cone-dominant and not rod-dominant).

In the poll I voted for other: chrome/silver. For me the old-school original diamond jig has worked best, though I primarily target members of the tuna family...

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Reelveal, I totally agree--correct action draws a reaction.

If fish do learn to favor blue/white in school, the lucky ones are the flunk-outs!

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
My goto color is mint but, I think the action is much more important than the color. If you look, a lot of Surface Iron's aren't even painted on the bottom. They are white. Thats what the fish is going to see as it attacks the lure from the bottom.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 06 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Spork. Are you the same entity that posted on the Windrivers.com forum?

89 Reinell CSF Cuddy 21.5Ft

Posts: 142 | Registered: 14 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I'm going to give my personal opinion in this matter. Diferent species of fish must adapt to their enviroment and behavior so a fish from the deep must see in a diferent way than a surface hunter etc. Not all fishes detect color in the same way or the same colors, not all colors penetrate in the water column and light afects that matter... to many variables in place to establish that a certain "color" is better... when, to what fish, in what light conditions, at what speed, what boat, what color of whater, what temperature, in what position? and meny more questions can be done and afect the equation.

And I'm not sure that fish have enough time to determine a color or pattern, I think the simply attack something that looks like food or menace and thats because presentation and constrast and no because color itself.

Thats why for me, color isn't so important, contrast is the key. A purple, deep blue or black, for me are the same, white, yellow.. the same, pink red... the same, they must contrast the same and most fish will detect them the same way more or less. That's why I dont have favorit colors, I wouldn't use the same color in a dark day than in a bright one, and I never will troll bright colors near the transom, nor dark ones far (because of the white water motor generates).. and I don't believe the fading of color because of deep affects that much. A red color does not vanish in the deeps, it's just that you see it brown, but you can still see the object and that's what a fish can hit, something that he detects, doesent matter if it is... for example, a white body red head lure, or a white with brown or with & blue...

It's just my personal aproach to the color matter.

Best regards.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 17 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I'm not sure that fish have enough time to determine a color or pattern, I think the simply attack something that looks like food or menace and thats because presentation and constrast and no because color itself.

There is a book and philosphy that basically says "Fish don't have hands" Much of their reaction to lures seems to be instinctive-'fight or flight' eat or be eaten. By contrast, bait is in the column far longer, allowing them to examine it and decide-not just react.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I've always thought that color on surface iron is mostly about contrast. Black/white has more contrast than blue/white which has more than scrambled egg. Who cares what color the top of the jig is? The fish only see the bottom or sides of a surface iron!

Posts: 166 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Nice use of the polling option Kevin!

GS<
MS

Posts: 1572 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Out here Chrome for me with a little green or blue Mac finish if I can get it . West Coast Blue/White .

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iggy:
Spork. Are you the same entity that posted on the Windrivers.com forum?

Nope, I am a different one.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 06 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post