New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rod Suggestion
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
I have a Avet MXL with 30lb mono and am looking for a rod to match. I live in San Diego and mainly go 1-2 day trips. I would like a single rod that will be a good compromise for fishing live bait and throwing surface iron. I was thinking the Seeker SC800 7 1/2' rod or the Seeker SC670 8' rod (or maybe the SC670 7' rod). What would you recommend out of these listed? Any other recommendations?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Ditch the #30 mono, throw some #50 spectra on it. Learn to tie a Uni, tie 15-20-30 or whatever mono/floro as a topshot.
A Calstar 700m will suffice from sandabs to #50 yellowfin.
I know nothing about seeker, the boss seemed like a rude old man,so I went with Calstar.

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
700m is a great blank.
i neither now about seeker to much.

i have the 700m , and im having a 800m bieng wrapped .

both great for fishing.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
I love the Seeker 670. Good for both jigs and baits. Awesome all purpose rod.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
If I was buying a new stick I would go to a shop and pull on a few and see what feels right for you. A 670 is a good stick though, a seven footer would be my choice.

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heatmiser:
I have a Avet MXL with 30lb mono and am looking for a rod to match....I would like a single rod that will be a good compromise for fishing live bait and throwing surface iron.
The Seeker 670-8 is a good way to go, it's a versatile stick. I have a couple of 670-8's and love 'em.

Posts: 61 | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Big Fish
posted Hide Post
I also like Seeker rods. I have used them for a few years now, and have caught a ton of albies and tails on my Seeker Black Steel. They are lightweight and can really put the fish on the boat. Calstar also makes very nice rods though and I don't think you'd go wrong with either. Good luck!

Posts: 73 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of crown victoria
posted Hide Post
for small fish you don't need to buy expensive gear !!! try a shakespeare or a quantum, they are made especially foe the inland - close to the harbor fishing that you like to eat !!! tyhen when you grow older you won't think that you wasted your money on an expensive fishing pole and you will be glad that you did. Forget abut the advertising and the hype it's alot of marketing stratedgy to make you think that spending more of your money will make you "feel better" P.S.- It's B.S. (SORRY CHARKIE, but it's true $$$$=:0)

Posts: 117 | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
thats all understandable crown victoria.

when i first started out 100 years ago, i only had a 1.00 dollar yard sale fishing pole.
as the years went by, i noticed that i had the love for fishing and wanted to upgrade my tackle.

these now and days, the less value reels are still in my collection of tackle, and in which i do carry a large variety of highend stuff.

its not about the hype of saleing you the 3000.00 dollar reel.
its just out there if you want a 3000.00 dollar reel .lol

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
CV,

Hype I think not. If you want to fish low end made in China sticks good for you. For me I will buy made in America, best quality sticks with a life time warranty. I have found thru trial and error that most of the time you get what you pay for again most of the time but not allways.

This is not to flame you but if he wanted a cheep stick I think he would of asked for one.

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I'd probably go with a 670 but if you want an 8'er look at the Seeker SD-8 as an 8' do-it-all tick.

Posts: 166 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
Picture of shadowdog3
posted Hide Post
I'm wanting to go custom with my next rod purchase. What would be the advice if Heatmiser wanted to swing that way??
tnx,
sd

Posts: 5 | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Seeker black steel or Super Seeker CJBF70m.
Some variant of the SD8 would also be nice. I like Badfish for wrapping-but I'm sure that there will be others.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Seeker / Calstar debate is like the Ford / Chevy thing both will get you there which is better is a coin toss everybody has there favorite. And yes you can go to Walmart and pick up a cheapie that will do the job but it wont handle as well and have less power and wont last as long. If you only spend 10 to 15 days a year on the water you probably wont tell the difference but if you spend 200 to 250 days a year you appreciate the good stuff.

Shadowdog I read your other post as well and can see you fishing for an awnser (pun intended) There are a number of rod biulders out there. Most only offer 1 or 2 differnt rod manufacturers. once again the 2 above. All would be good. But if you realy want an ego stroke check out Armbreaker rods. They offer ALOT of blanks. Alot of grips. Alot of guides And if you realy want to go all out tell them the reel to be used and they will ballance the rod for the weight. You also can choose one of their paint scheames or send in your own. Custom cut the butt and foregrip to fit you. The list goes on and on. But be prepaired to be a baker cause you will lay down some serious dough.

Posts: 35 | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post