The CharkBoards!
Please HELP me understand the AVET SX 6/4 MC

This topic can be found at:
http://charkbait.evecommunity.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5281010491/m/688006366001

28 February 2012, 02:29 PM
Harold Ray
Please HELP me understand the AVET SX 6/4 MC
I have an AVET SX 6/4 MC 2 speeds. I am totally unfamiliar with these new reels, their settings, and magnets. I would really appreciate it if some of you all could educate me on these reels. The drag lever has four settings, Free (spool), Bait, Strike, and Full. What are all of these for? I realize that may seem a ridiculous question to most of you, but I am used to only very simple, old equipment. I want to learn more about these so I can have fun with them, too.

The magnet settings, which I assume control the speed of spool rotation, run from 1 to 5. Does that designate the lightest magnet control, 1, to the strongest at 5?

And the handle! There appears to be a small stainless steel, or aluminum, lever on the handle and a button, what are those for?

On which setting do you cast? I have been using Bait but wasn't certain that was right. I have this reel mounted on a 7' Ugly Stick Tiger. Using a 3 to 6 ounce weight I can cast around 90 feet but I am just getting started with this reel, am practicing, getting better, with more accuracy, and more distance. So far, I have had ZERO backlashes which is a record for me!!! I like this little dude, but I know nothing about fancy fishing stuff; I've never been able to afford more expensive gear, or never spent what money I had on it, and would really appreciate someone who knows telling me how best to use the AVET SXs. Again, this is an AVET SX 6/4 MC 2 Speed. I will be fishing both salt- and freshwater in Texas.

Actually, I bought 4 of these little jewels from Charkbait a while back and am just now getting to get them into action. I love 'em, but I want to know as much as possible about them for longer casts and better use. So far on the casting, I could not ask for better. Actually, I've been amazed, not a single backlash, and I've been trying to push them as much as I know how, but they are far nicer reels than I am used to!! So many settings, and so many things to push, pull, and turn!!!

Thank you in advance. If you think it will help, I need all of the information you can give me on the reel and casting technique.

Ray

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Harold Ray,

Ray Emerson, D.V.M.
419 Lake Air Drive
Waco, Texas 76710

E-mail: wacovet@yahoo.com

Phone: 254-772-3520, Cell: 254-744-2393

Web address: http:www.emersonanimalhospital.com
28 February 2012, 05:52 PM
froggywaldo
Free spool - for casting
Bait - lets fish run with bait to eat it
Strike - Usually 1/4 - 1/3 line strength drag. Adjust with knob on lever using spring scale.
Full - If you think you need more ease toward full. Be careful may snap line.

for mag use the lowest number you can without backlash. Depends on weight.

The button is for low speed which makes the handle easier to turn on large fish. Next to the button is a release lever to return to high speed.

After a little practice you'll be a pro
28 February 2012, 06:13 PM
Harold Ray
quote:
Free spool - for casting
Bait - lets fish run with bait to eat it
Strike - Usually 1/4 - 1/3 line strength drag. Adjust with knob on lever using spring scale.
Full - If you think you need more ease toward full. Be careful may snap line.

Okay, you cast with Free Spool and even though the line is running free and sailing out, the magnets gradually slow spool rotation to help prevent backlashes.

Then, you switch to Bait and wait for the bite and run.

Once there is a run, you go to Strike or Full for the hook-up and fight!

On my old reels, I usually have the drag set so the weight barely moves downward (just slightly or it may maintain its place and move only with a little shake) before casting. On this reel, the AVET SX, on Free Spool, the weight and line runs out. Is there a drag setting to slow the line on Free Spool, or does it just run?? Boy, those magnets better do their job on Free Spool 'cause that line really moves!!!!!!

Thank you, thank you!! please keep the info coming.

Ray

Ray Emerson, D.V.M.
419 Lake Air Drive
Waco, Texas 76710

28 February 2012, 06:38 PM
froggywaldo
I usually fight the fast moving fish on strike.
Sometimes I'll go toward full for bottom fish. Fishing in saltwater? Boat or shore? The best thing to do is practice casting. I'm not a big fan of magged reels and find I use the lowest setting and my thumb.
28 February 2012, 07:30 PM
Harold Ray
On the coast, I'll be fishing from shore and kayaks. We fish off High Island and PINS, Padre Island National Seashore.

Ray Emerson, D.V.M.
419 Lake Air Drive
Waco, Texas 76710

28 February 2012, 08:00 PM
froggywaldo
Plenty of places to practice, try a plug. I'll be working in Houston and fishing down in Galveston. Lots of good fishing in the gulf there.
29 February 2012, 05:38 PM
Harold Ray
I began casting on Free Spool today and changed my method a little, and in the process lengthened my cast from around 90' to around 150' overnight with some of your suggestions and some from corpusfishing.com, plus the ease of casting was really enjoyable. I was afraid the reel would run, but I grabbed some tape, laid a couple of layers over my thumb, and tossed it. EWverything really went well. I believe I'll be going toward 100 yards pretty soon, with more practice.

Now, I'm putting a lot more leverage into it and watching the line fire on out there. I'll be breaking out my big rods, Breakaways and Harnells, and doing the same shortly. These reel, when compared to the old ones, will make a lot of difference in the casting distance, too, now that I've learned more about them.

Thanks again!!

Ray

Ray Emerson, D.V.M.
419 Lake Air Drive
Waco, Texas 76710

01 March 2012, 05:19 PM
MAD 69
What kind of line are you using, mono or braid? I'm sure you can get some great distance with that reel and the rods you mention above.
01 March 2012, 05:46 PM
Harold Ray
Braid, and the distance is improving.

Ray Emerson, D.V.M.
419 Lake Air Drive
Waco, Texas 76710