New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Shot Mono #
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
I just bought an Avet HXW 5/2 Raptor. I am filling with 100lb JB hollow core. I thought I wanted a 100lb mono top shot, but now I've read enough to get me confused. Is 100lb mono right thinking, or is 80lb better for SoCal BFT? Also, does the connection need a crimp? And, is the San Diego knot OK for hook/Jig connections?
Thank, Jeff

Posts: 2 | Registered: 26 November 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I prefer crimp to serving. Never saw a crimp fail. 80 is a good choice. Knot? Pick your poison.

Posts: 97 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd fish a short -- 15 feet or even less -- fluorocarbon leader. Fluorocarbon is more stealthy, and harder for teeth to chew through. The San Diego jam is, from my experience, the most popular knot used by long range fishermen. 80# or 100#? Check with the deckhands as you approach the fishing grounds. And after years of making wind-ons, I now just tie my leader to the braid. It works if you tie a good knot. Again, have the deckhand help you with it.

Posts: 268 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
On the HXW, if Raptor fine to go 100# and that's what I'd do myself. Capacity is fine on 100# braid back then run 80# on the topshot. Could go 100# for the topper if an inline rig is used - then set the drag up to fish 100# ~ 25-30 lbs. If 80 on top, then set the drag for it's use ~25 lb appropriate. I'd max out on the braid, then run a 25' wind-on or go knot connection if that's your preference. Sato's crimp system fine for longer toppers. But, always note, one good fish and it's probably wise to re-rig (new crimp). That would be the same for a wind-on leader as well, one good fish and it's time to change her out. The shorter the topshot, the more important the change in leader. With stretch diameter will change, and as a result the line's test will also drop and the ability to hold a serve or crimp connection can also degrade.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1371 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Ok. I now have 100lb TT hollow core, and 100lb mono top. Now, is it feasable, or wise, to fish varius leaders, down to 60lb, for varius situations? Obviously changing the drag weight for each.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 26 November 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post