New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loop Needles
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
I like using a loop needle for inline splices for attaching topshots instead of going loop to loop. Mark/Chark or someone who does this, working with various makers of 80 lb hollow, which needle works best?

Posts: 4 | Registered: 04 May 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I have not tried all the brands but I have PowerPro and ToroTamer needles. Honestly don’t make difference to me if I do heavy poundage hollow line but once is below 40lbs, ToroTamer I prefer. Let’s not forget different brand hollow plays a part too, not just the needle. Toro 16 is very easy to work with even 65lbs flourou into 40lbs Toro16

Just saying o

Posts: 77 | Registered: 13 April 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that, Explorer. Of the single Toro Tamer loop needles sold here, I just want to know which one is the best fit for 80 lb hollow. I don’t use needles to insert leader material into hollow any more. Just open up the hollow, sand the end of the leader material and slide it in.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Not sure why you are not using that needle to insert the leader but I can try the loop needle for toro80lbs hollow.....but you have to wait cos needles not with me now. Maybe the week after I can let you know. But I guess by then Mark already got back to you Smiler

Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Needles are not needed, for me, anyway. On the advice of a respected topshot manufacturer and line vendor I’m using 80 lb hollow for inserting diameters of .91 and 1.05 mm. I feel sanding the end of the leader material to a bullet shape important and have no problem sliding it in the smaller diameter hollow.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Ok so I hope this will help. Toro Needle set that I have got 3 loop needles in it.
Using the biggest I go through 80Toro Hollow with ease and went through 60lbsToro Hollow ok too.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Here

Captain
posted Hide Post

Captain
posted Hide Post

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I too use the threading needles for bringing leader into the braid. I'll use loop needles to open up braid occasionally, use them also for splicing hollow to hollow or with solid. Only use the latch needle for making my loops for wind-ons. Yes, sanding down the leader can work, I'll recommend for heavy tests above 130, but dropping down faster and easier for me to go threading needle.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1571 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post