Find
Notify
Tools

Double Wall
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
Hi ALL, still a rookie, please bear with me Smiler

Saw Mark’s video about the double wall wind-on leaders. Pretty straight forward but he was showing the “Serve” to finish.

1) Wondering if anyone have used the 3 Nail knots (+Glue) to finish this wind-on? Did it hold up good? Serving is hard/challenging for me without the “jig-station” But 3 nail knots I can do pretty easily.

2) And also, I am Thinking of using the 12 Strand 60lbs Toro Tamer for these double wall wind-on, can it be done? Or I need 16Strand?

Posts: 23 | Registered: 13 April 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I use the nails for everything at this point. For heavy lines above 80 I use the "nub-knot" technique. (and I still feel like an arse for not remembering the gentlemans name that showed me this trick 8 or so years ago, he was the innovator). Serves are great on heavier tests, not on light ones in my opinion and experience. But I also feel that the nail knot routine accomplishes the same thing, is harder to get wrong, and faster.

For my wind-ons, I use the triple 7 turn nail w/glue, 5' insertion of leader into braid for most lines from 40-80. At 100 &+ 3 nails and a nub. At 30 and below I only use 2 nails w/glue, inserted 4-5'. Blake at our shop does some things differently and more typically makes w/serves for our shop sales. That's really industry current standard. For the "home mechanic" I'd say nails knock it out of the park. Many more advantages than disadvantages. Equally effective. More cost effective for the fisherman, easier to learn, easier to make, does the same darn thing and saves a ton of $.

Expect to see this technique to become standard practice by those who are a bit more attentive to rigging, and fishing in general.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chark,

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1447 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark,

12 Strand 60lbs Toro Tamer do double wall wind-on just as good? Or I need 16Strand?

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Go 16, double wall on 12 strand limits greatly what you can insert for leader.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Got it .....Thx

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark, just tested it and is pretty easy o have to say just need more practice. 5feet 40lbs into 60lbs ToroTamer....pull test without slippage. Am I correct to assume that double wall’s Chinese finger trap hold on to the leader tighter than regular Flouro into Hollow splicing? Anotherwords I don’t need 5 feet if I don’t want to? 3-4feet? Just curious. Just have to ask since I am not sure if my “pulltest” at home is accurate or not LOL.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
You are correct that one probably does not need to insert the leader as far into a dual wall as a single. When the line test is close to or above the braid's test then less insertion length is required. When the line test of the leader is lighter and it's diameter is small, then extending further into the braid is required. What I may do for 80# leader inserted into 60# braid will be less than if I were putting 80 into 130.

Having said that, I personally treat all pretty much the same, insert into a "wingspan" ~5-6 feet into the braid. I'd far rather be too conservative than do anything which increases risk. The upside is that I've never experienced a failure on one of my own rigs, downside is that I may waste a foot or two of FL and take an extra 30 seconds rigging. Being conservative has its rewards...

There are so many things that can go wrong when fighting a larger fish. My preference is to minimize the potential for failure on those things I have control over. The stuff we can't control, well that's another story.

Great Stuff!
Mark