CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Single Hook Replacement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single Hook Replacement
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
Has anyone replaced the treble hooks on Rapalla CD-18 lures with single hooks? If so, what type and size. I have some siwash 7/0 single hooks...

Also when replacing treble hooks on candy bar type jigs (like the Salas) Would you attach the single hook to the rear ring where the treble was attached or use a pair of assist hooks and attach them to the front ring.

I have a couple of large Wahoo type jigs which I plan to use on fishing from Rancho Leonero on the East Cape but, these jigs have treble hooks...

Posts: 32 | Registered: 18 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Assume all of these adjustments are for wahoo fishing?

With Rapala CD18 Magnums, the most stable swimming action is achieved by replacing the stock trebles with Owner ST66 trebles. The Owner trebles are fine for wahoo, though other trebles generally are not.
If you absolutely must go with singles, a 'marauder' type arrangement with split rings and swivels, along with Owner Jobu 7/0 singles works well, though along with the requisite wire leader you will need to slow down a lot.
You can get a little more speed out of an altered Rapala X-Rap XR30MAG, and wahoo definitely love the purple/black or flame orange colors.
Iron jigs like Salas and Tady do not swim properly with front-hung assist hooks. When replacing stock hooks, go with the Owner "open eye siwash" in size 7/0 or 8/0 depending on the jig, and the Owner ST66 or even ST76 trebles are also good for wahoo fishng on iron jigs.

Posts: 245 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thank you Steve... That's exactly what I wanted to know...

I viewed this YouTube video showing factory supplied Rapallas from "Down Under" with VMC single hooks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GWUlKaS07o

I would like to get some VMC hooks with the in-line eye. Are they any good and are they available here in the USA?

Posts: 32 | Registered: 18 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Cool vid.
I had seen them in an ad in an Australian publication last year, but could not get an answer about when they will be on the US market.
Maybe if an influential US dealer like Mark Smith asks them about it at ICAST, it will speed up the timeline...........

Posts: 245 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post