CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Fovorite Lures For Fishing he "Slide"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fovorite Lures For Fishing he "Slide"
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I love fishing the slide and actually prefer that to trolling on a party boat.
I have a 30# outfit ready for the slide and I am waiting near the stern of the boat to hear "fish on"
Some of my favorite lures for the slide are the Megabait and Braid Slammer "type" lures. I also fish the Tady Y2 single hook.
What are your favorite "slide" lures and, do any of you use Rapalas on the slide?

Posts: 32 | Registered: 18 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
RPC,
This year in not at all typical. Would say at
least 85% of the fish are caught on the troll
the other 13% on the slide and 2% on bait.
They typically are knocking down 1 or 2 trollers
and almost immediately sink out. Have been on two
short range trips and have talked to many others and
the M-O is always the same. My best
suggestion is to be ready at the stern with a small 4 in. Megabait
Purple or blue work good,
and be ready at the stern right next to the trollers.
Now here is the secret, watch the troll rods like a hawk,
do not take you eyes off of them and as soon as you seen any of the
rod butts start bouncing immediately cast out your Megabait just
outside the trollers into the foam, let it slide back and start a
slow jigging motion when the boat has almost stopped.
You should be casting before
anyone yells "HOOK UP" . The secret is to get that bait in the water ASAP.
Also have seen guys stand at the rail with their bait stick
with an Anchovy pinned on. Dead and dried out it does not matter.
And when they see the rod butt start bouncing they just drop
it over the side and let it back into the foam. I think this is
some what more efficient then the Megabait.
The key is small bait and super quick to
be in the water after the troll knock down.
Cannot emphasize "SUPER QUICK" enough.
Do not rely on techniques of the past they will
not work.

Walt

Posts: 343 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CB HB Staff
Captain
Picture of UnReel
posted Hide Post
Don't forget abut the old school trick of using a 1 to 2oz torpedo sinker about 3 to 4' above a nose hooked chovie. After seeing a troll rod get bit or hearing HOOKUP !!!! drop the rig off the stern corner. Won many jackpots back in the day fishing this technique for albies when all we had for bait was chovies. Heading out Sunday on our Eclipse charter and I'll definitely have one of the rigs above in my had while standing in the stern Wink

Posts: 169 | Registered: 15 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a heck of a good argument in favor of spinning tackle. What say?

Posts: 118 | Registered: 30 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I have recently picked up four Pakula 5.5" Dojo Hybrid Destroyer lures which seem like they would be great for fishing the slide.

I have a Calstar 800 XL which has been cut down to 7.5 feet (giving it a bit more backbone). Mounting a Shimano 400 with 25# test seems like it would make a nice combination for using the Pakula on the slide..

BTW: I have seen fishermen with longer spinning rods casting nose hooked anchovies with a 1/2 ounce rubber-core sinker about 18 inches above the chovie. Retrieving the anchovie in jerks often caught fish when no one else was getting bit. It is easier to retrieve the chovie (like a lure) with a spinning rod than with a conventional rod and reel. However, IMO, it is easier to beat the fish on conventional tackle than on a long spinning rod...

Posts: 32 | Registered: 18 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Darn sad that Pakula is no longer distributed in the USA. Peter Pakula was the first customer of our San Diego shop, a great guy with a wealth of knowledge. For what it's worth, there's a SoCal mail order type shop selling some knock offs of Peter's Witch Doctor, claiming it's the real deal. That is not true. Pakula's Australian website covers that a bit. Pretty bogus rip off marketing. In any event, in time we'll no doubt see Peter back with a USA distributor, but for now his products are only available overseas. We have some of his lures at our shops, but not enough to post online.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1367 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Chark, if you chose to use spinning tackle for this fishing, would a Torque 3 or 5 do ya? I suspect?

Posts: 118 | Registered: 30 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
No 3, but the 5 and 7 can sure get the job done as can Van Staal's spinners.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1367 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post