CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Going on Excel 16 day Accurate...need a little help.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going on Excel 16 day Accurate...need a little help.
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
This is the first trip longer than 10 days for me. Would like some advice on a few things.

1) What connection do I use for chunks.
2) What size, and type (J or Circle) hook for chunks.
3) What should I know about big fish and chafing line?

My preferred gear will be 770xxh and Tiburon 50 with 130 JB hollow. I look forward to trying all the Accurate gear too!

Waited a long time to go after the cows. Spent several years chasing bluefin in New England out of my home port, Point Judith, RI.

OK guys. Don't let me down.

David Buck

Posts: 30 | Registered: 23 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Chunk with 130# flourocarbon (I like Seaguar Premier) crimped to a circle hook, like a 9/0 eagle claw 2005bp.
Chaffing line? Do you mean chafe tube to protect the loop when you crimp? If so the best IMO is teflon tubing. Or do you mean big fish causing abrasion to your line? If so, the fluoro is very abrasion resistant, don't worry about it.
A very different game than East Coast bluefin. You'll have a great time!!

Posts: 20 | Registered: 29 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend a circle with a swivel attached. Chunks twist and on a long drift you'll really appreciate the swivel.

Posts: 302 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Dont Chunk, FLYLINE, Buy alot of tackle you might need to use evrything you can get your hands on, or you could just Flyline and not Buy alot of stuff you probably don't have to have.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SDTuna09
posted Hide Post
Pageot,

Chunking is a deadly technique with current flowing in the right direction so you can get a proper drift.

Big chunks big hooks. Circle 8/0 crimped to 100 # fluorocarbon for big tuna. Wire oh so small for wahoo.

your fishing a chum line and fish will work right up the line move very little to suck up the chunks.

Pay attention and you need to be focused on where your bait is to detect a pick up as the fish is swimming towards the boat up the chunk line.

SDTuna

Posts: 248 | Registered: 05 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
That's what I wanted. Thanks to each of you.

Posts: 30 | Registered: 23 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post