New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newell 646
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
I love Newells. I have a 220 and it's awesome! I'm looking for a good 9/0-sized reel and the 646 fits the bid Big Grin I know somebody has to use them. I would love some input on how they work.

Thanks!
-Kevin

Posts: 13 | Registered: 20 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Hey East Coaster im in hawaii and we use them for shore fishing / slide bait. Not sure of your application, so not sure of the plusses or negatives for you. Since you love your newells, as most guys who use them do you probably know that regular maintenance is important for keeping you and your newell happy with each other. I have 4 646 all older no letter 4.2'S upgraded side plates for easy bearing oiling , and because i believe that the new plates with the ss bearing cups are stronger under heavy load than the old style mine came with where the bearing was set directly into the side plate. I have also upgraded the drags to carbontex, and bearings to faster ceramics. Its your choice on weather or not you replace the handle with after market or not i have never broken one, but know guys who have. As for line capacity I get between 400 and 425 yrds. of 80 mono depending on the brand, and its lighter than most if not all the reels with this line capacity. My drags are smooth and consistant. The only draw back is that Newell does not make a P series 646 so no redily available aluminum spool for this model and its hard to find after market also. I like to keep my drags cranked down tight to minimize the fish running around reef and cutting my line off which puts extra stress on the spool and seems to warp the spool. Which doesnt have a noticeable difference durring cast but i can feel it when im reeling. which im sure would lead to parts and bearing wear. so the s646 4.2 in my opinion is A good reel. Hope this helps

Posts: 1 | Registered: 23 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Wonderful reels, but right now there is nothing being produced by the new owner of Newell. We have hope for the future, but the present production, or lack thereof, is indeed frustrating. Hopefully we will be able to post better news in the fall, but for now, Newell is not a manufacturer of fishing reels... )-;

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1539 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of crown victoria
posted Hide Post
Do you still use a push mower ? Do you turn the channel on your T.V. by twisting a knob? Have you trimmed your Mullet off yet? Then go buy a couple more NEWELL REELS!!! EVEN THE FACTORY DOESN'T WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 117 | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
who is the new owner of newell reels? i used to work for carl before he passed, and would like to catch up with some of the employees if they are still around

Posts: 2 | Registered: 30 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you called the shop to ask the same question, think we covered that ground. Valley Manufacturing is the new owner, and time will tell if they get their production together...

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1539 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post