CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Surf rod for Avet SX MC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surf rod for Avet SX MC
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
Recently ordered this reel and while I have been waiting for it I'm trying to match it with a decent rod. I was planning on using my 11' Emcast surf but was thinking of going somewhere around 9'6".

I fish the NE inlets and jetties for Stripers, bluefish and sharks, thanks for any suggestions...

Posts: 9 | Registered: 21 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
using a reel that small, my opinion would be to use any light calstar or seeker rods instead of a surf rod. most surf rods that long would have a big reel seat and big butts for that reel.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 16 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Lamiglas has good graphite surf rods. Might need a custom build to fit that reel, but it would fit well, as their butts are relatively small.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CB HB Staff
Captain
Picture of UnReel
posted Hide Post
Good morning, check out the new penn torque surf rods. No 9'6" but they have 9 and 10'ers . About 119.00 and the SX will fit in the reel seat. Tried it right befor I typed the reply. Here's the link
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/pennrods_ProGuide.htm

Tight lines,
Behdad

Posts: 172 | Registered: 15 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Our Surf Explorer should hit the nail on the head for you. It's designed as a travel rod, but don't let that shy you away from it's use. Super rod, and it will fit the Avet seat - which can be a difficult match. The blank is skinny, you can adjust the position of the reel both forward and back for optimum balance and control. Here's a recent feedback report from one of our clients:
Leeana, Please forward this to your boss.
This morning I took the Surf Explorer down to my “test site”. I saddled up with an Abu 6600C5 Mag X holding 14# Suffix Siege and a 75g egg sinker,used a common fishing rig. (You folks would call it a “Carolina rig”). I just wanted to see how the rod casted and it was much more than I expected. I’m an average caster who’s getting older but even with an 9 mph wind in my face I was averaging a measured 270’ the longest was 291'. Not too shabby for me and an 8’75” rod. I seldom have to cast that far but it’s nice to have the confidence that I can do it if needed. If I used braid I could have squeezed out the extra feet for an even 100 yards. The closest rod I own in comparison is a St.Croix, PSRC86M2, rated 1/2-2 oz. and I felt the Surf Explorer was lighter and easier to work with over a 2 hour period of constant casting. The sensitivity of the four section rod was also equal to the two part Premier. There are lots of crabs around to chew on your bait and I could feel them at work. Now I only have to catch a fish!. I just wanted to say I’m pleased with the product and very pleased with the customer service from CharkBait! I plan on sharing my good fortune with friends at other forums!
Ev Burroughs

If you are planning on fishing 15-20# lines, then the current Surf Explorer will hit the nail on the head. We are presently working on expanding upon the current rod, but up and down the line test range. The fruit of that work won't be ready for probably 4 months or so, need prototype evaluation, but we are expanding upon that rod's design. Use of Spigot Ferrules ensures some strength, excellent materials used.
*note rods now come in a hard tube case rather than the soft bag.
** and since I'm letting cats out of bags, we're also working on some two piece surf rods...but those are probably still several months away.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chark,

Great Stuff!
Mark

Surf Explorer

Posts: 1538 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys, I like that travel rod and the case - would be great for my occasional trips to FLA. I prefer the 2 piece models and will wait til you get them in stock, I'll be sure to purchase it from you also because of your great prices, even better than the large well known tackle shop that is a few minutes from my home here on the south Jersey coast.

Mark, I got my UPS tracking info today for my SX I ordered, thank you. By the way I forgot to ask if this reel comes with a rod clamp? I saw the SX rod clamp but thought it was just sold as a replacement.

Crew
posted Hide Post
SX comes with the rod clamp. And I'll second the recommendation for Charkbait, great store and great employees. Heck, even the owner is a nice guy!

Posts: 9 | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Cool - glad to hear it comes with the clamp. They do have a very nice staff, everyone has been a big help.