CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Is this a braid slipping problem?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a braid slipping problem?
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
Hey, I'm new here, and I came here because I had a question. I have a Penn Fathom 15. It's my first non levelwind. I spent a lot of time with mono getting used to casting it and laying the line on myself. I took it out to the ocean this weekend with braid, and I noticed something disturbing. In some cases while fighting fish, the crank turns but doesn't bring in any line. I have the line tied onto the predrilled hole, and I'm using Sufix 832 30#. I
used the reel with mono for some freshwater outings and didn't notice this happening at all. So what's going on here? Is the braid just not packed tightly enough so that it's slipping despite being tied directly or is it maybe a problem with the reel?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Well it is king of hard to tell whats going on without seeing what is going on. First at what pound of drag to you have your reel set at. All reels are ment to, "slip", have line come off of them or not be able to bring line if the amount of pressure on the line exceeds what the drag is set for. Lets say the reel is set at 5 lbs of drag and a fish is pulling 6 lbs or more the line will be going out, the fish is pulling against the drag of the reel. Now say a fish is applying 5 lbs, you and the fish are at a stalemate and line will not be able to be reeled in and the fish cant pull line.

Most of the time when spectra is put onto a reel too loose the spectra line will dig into its self. The tight line will dig into the loose line on the spool. Spectra slipping on the spool can happen but if you have alot of spectra on the reel most likely it will dig into its self first.

Spectra needs to be packed onto a reel tight. For 60lb spectra and less I like to pack it on at around 7-10 lbs of drag. At this test the spectra on the spool will feel rock hard when done spooling and will not let it dig into its self or slip on the spool.

If you have the star drag wheel tightened down enough appling the correct drag and the line still will not spool onto the reel something is wrong. Spectra slipping? Maybe. Issue with the reel? Maybe. It is hard for anyone to tell without seeing what is happening.

Try spooling the spectra onto another reel. Set the reel's drag with the spectra on in at around 8lbs of drag. Next set the Fathom's drag over the 8 lbs of drag and wind the line back onto it. If its spectra slipping this will take care of it. If not something else is going wrong with the Fathom.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SoCalAngler,

Posts: 403 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
simple fix ---- take of spectra rap one layer of finger tape around spool wind spectra back on nice and tight it wont slip.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
SoCal Angler, I really like your suggestion about reeling it off another reel with the drag set. I currently have the drag on the Fathom at 10 pounds. I tried to see what it felt like and it feels pretty hard and solid, but I have a bit of doubt making me think when I really press on it that it might be giving a bit. I will put it on another reel and try that.

Also, wajoomike, unless I am mistaken, the Fathom series's spool hole that can have the braid tied on should eliminate the need for tape. If this is incorrect however, let me know. What I suspect is that the braid is digging in or slipping in the higher layers of the line.

I'll get back after spooling it off another reel.

Edit for Update: So I respooled it off another reel with the drag set at 7 pounds and the line on the Fathom feels rock hard and didn't fill up the spool quite as much. I will take that as a sign that it worked, but I will update again after I have a chance to cast it several times.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Eastham,

Posts: 2 | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Glad that it seems to be working; the fact that when respooled under tension there was a noticeable drop in fill-up level indicates that the original installation was seriously under-tensioned.
You are correct in that tying the line into the hole eliminates the need for other anchoring systems [like finger tape], though many folks still prefer a "bottom shot" consisting of about 5 yards of mono, which is a bit more convenient to work with under some circumstances.

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Thanks SoCal, Mark I'm sure glad we have you covering the boards with us. Good input as always!

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1354 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post