CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    8 day August Trip #50 set up.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8 day August Trip #50 set up.
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
For my #50 lbs rod and reel, thinking about Avet LX 6/3 Raptor. 500 yards of 65# Braided and 50# mono topshot. If I want to have room to go up to 60# topshot, is 65# braided backing enough. Or should I just do 400 yards of 80#.

For the rod - Calstar GFGR700MH
UPGRADE Fuji Silicone Nitride GUIDES
or
United Composite Elite RCE700 XH C.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks again

Posts: 4 | Registered: 31 March 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
The Raptors include 300 yds of the hollow core, go that route. With the 60, which independently tests out at over 90 lbs you are fine running 50-60# leader, and with the LX you'll can have 500yds of braid with ample room for a short topper. I'd stay with that plan given primary 50# class use. The Calstar MH is a very good 40# rod, can push and fish 50 though many will go with the H version for that. The UC's will fish their range, that's unique to the dual helix build design. So, the XH will cover your needs, and one can make a case to go XXH since that's still light enough to cover 50 and fish 60# better than the XH in my opinion.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1367 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I am going with the XXH to cover that 50-60 range.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 31 March 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post