CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Wanting to Buy a spinning reel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanting to Buy a spinning reel
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
Hello,
I will be going on a 8 day trip coming up and was wondering about getting a spinning reel. Looking at the MK-10000LS or 20000. Which one do you guys recommend an 8 day trip and what set up (rod, lbs of braid, etc)? Probably will pick it up at the shop as the trip is next week.

Thanks again as always
Stan

Posts: 6 | Registered: 31 March 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Inventory very tight on the Makaira spinners, we do have a couple in inventory and Okuma should be getting more in their stock this month. We probably have you covered, but those spinners took off far faster than expected and demand made Okuma's projections way off the mark. Great reels. For an 8 day charter you'll have plenty of opportunities to fish the larger spinning reel. It's not what you want in your hands for a 200 lb tuna, life too short for the likelihood of an extended multi hour fight. Rather a two speed conventional reel best for taminga big fish on a long range boat. But, for fish of say 100 lb and down, wahoo, yellowtail, dorado...bring 'em on. The spinning reel will be a blast. I'd opt for fishing 40-60# on a spinning reel in the long range setting. A guy can go heavier, 80 very popular. Experience is a key, those used to using their rod to gain back line rather than the grunt cranking power of a LOW geared leverdrag conventional reel. In the hands of an experienced spinning angler, you can certainly go for larger target fish and heavier lines. That's beyond my skill set, but not for others.

For rods, UC produces their Challenger Elite series in spinning form. Great rods. All are 7 feet in length. Of course custom rods are an option, but right now we're looking at 2 months for completion.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1447 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post