Find
Notify
Tools

Line Storage
 Login/Join

Crew
Picture of Slimerocket
posted
How long do you folks keep new mono (on the manufacturers spool) stored (out of the sun)before you consider it "old"? Smaller test stuff comes in smaller spools and I would trash it all every year. But this 1000 yard stuff in these bigger (40-100lb)saltwater tests seems to be a different deal. When using it as topshots then floro leader - a 1000 yards lasts a long time. Thanks!

Posts: 6 | Registered: 03 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Sunlight and petroleum-based products are the biggest threat to mono. If you store it in a dark container, away from light. Temperatures between 50-90 should not harm it. Typically you can go up to about 10 years. Fluorocarbon supposedly lasts even longer.

Before you use it, you might want to strip off the outer layer of line that may have been exposed to contaminants to be safe.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CJL,

Posts: 54 | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
Picture of Slimerocket
posted Hide Post
Thank you CJL. I've thrown away a lot of usable line in my life!

Captain
posted Hide Post
I have wasted a lot of line over the years. But, to ruin a trip because of bad line just seemed dumb. After a few years of annually replacing line to be safe, I contacted several manufacturers. Ande is the one that provided the info on proper storage.

For all of my reels, I have switched to spectra with short tops shots. I keep the small spools of fluorcarbon in my house in a reel bag. Spectra seems to last forever. Just make sure to take it off occasionally and perform maintenance on your spool and wash the line.

Posts: 54 | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
Picture of Slimerocket
posted Hide Post
Again, I appreciate you sharing the information. For years I too replaced line annually in the lower tests 12-30# (Steelhead & King Salmon) for the same reasons as you. Plus the expense was small compared to 1000 yard spools of 40, 50, 60 , 80 & 100 now that I'm fishing more baja stuff. I see Offshore Angler has some smaller spools of these higher test lines but it's their brand and I've never used it.