CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Pulled hooks: tight drags or light wire
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pulled hooks: tight drags or light wire
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
Hallo folks,
I recently read an article suggesting that more hooks are pulled from narrow gauge hooks, than too tight drags. Now I don’t pull nearly as many hooks as I did years ago; but, I had attributed the improvement in my hook to cook ratio to backing off the drag a bit and to patience. If a larger gauge hook will let me tighten the drag and shorten the fight, I’m all for it. I suspect that there are downsides like presentation, bait life and such. Should I exchange my flyliners for gorillas? What are your experiences and what conclusions have you come to?

Why do fish look at me and laugh?

Posts: 11 | Registered: 26 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
My background is strictly cow fishing, so from that perspective it's never an issue with very light wire hooks. It's either "mid weight" wire or heavy wire, and in that range it's always too much drag FOR WHERE THE HOOK IS LODGED. That's the thing.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 29 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
You really need to choose your hook to match line test. This is even more important with braided lines, mono will stretch and absorbs shock that may pull hooks.

Posts: 114 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SDTuna09
posted Hide Post
IMO...farming is over 70% on me not the gear.

I fly fish and catch trout 5 # and up on 6x tippet(less than 2# test) and very small hooks size 22/24.

So thin wire hooks and light line is not the problem. "I am" when I step to the rail and hammer down on a west coast pacific species and farm the sucker.

SDTuna

Posts: 248 | Registered: 05 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
There is alot of stories about "The one that got away", So I assume that sometimes the fish will not get caught everytime, no matter what. Alas,,,,, one does strive for perfection, A Toast- To REALITY!!!! (Now go have another drink, You'll make us all feel better)

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Hallo folks,
Thank you for your comments.

Here are links to the articles that got me wonderin'.

http://www.sdlongrange.com/art...on-heavy-tackle.html

http://www.sdlongrange.com/art...ing-on-big-fish.html

Sacto: "too much drag FOR WHERE THE HOOK IS LODGED". If those darned fish would eat politely with the hooks in the corner of their mouths, they would be in the freezer where they belong.

froggywaldo: "match hook to line test.".... Insightful and succinct as always. Thank you, Sir.

SDTuna09: "IMO...farming is over 70% on me not the gear." I can't argue with that! Sometimes I think I've made inappropriate choices, though. When a yellowtail at San Martin straightend a Hayabusa Light Circle hook, I switched back to Mustad 94150s. (I still have the straight hook and yes, I did land the sucker!). I've also had Owner flyliners work their way up the gill plates of albies. I wonder if a thicker hook would have stayed put better.

Crown Victoria: "Alas,,,,, one does strive for perfection, A Toast- To REALITY!!!!"
Agreed. I'm not complaining (much). As I said my hook to cook ratio has improved over the years; however I am looking to make those incremental improvements to my skills (including tackle selection) that will make me a better fish chaser.

Again, thank you all!

Why do fish look at me and laugh?

Posts: 11 | Registered: 26 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post