New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avet MXL Raptor
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
Planning on an October 7-day on the Royal Star. As Guadalupe is a no-go, it appears Most of the heavy Avets will be staying home. Plan is to bring a 30 w/100# hollow, a couple of HX Raptors w/80# hollow, and JX Raptors with solid 65# (Izorline). I’m thinking at least one MXL Raptor for lighter stuff but just read the thread on the SX Raptor. I’d like your recommendations on which would be best, line types and sizes, and top shots. I live in GA so orders will be coming soon! Thanks!

Steve Garrison

Posts: 9 | Registered: 03 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Both the MXL Raptor and SX Raptor are great reels. However, the MXL and JX have very similar line capacities. If you want a small reel, the SX Raptor may be the way to go -- or perhaps the MXJ Raptor. You can't go wrong with any of them. I'd fill them with 50# or perhaps 65# braid and the top shot of your choice. If there are finicky BF around, that might mean 30# or even 25# fluorocarbon.

Posts: 302 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your reply. That’s the route I’ll take, the MXJ and MXL Raptor. I already have 2 JX Raptors and love them. Thanks for the info on line, too. As a displaced So Cal long ranger, keeping up with the latest gear and techniques can be tough.

One other question; what is your knot of choice for the braid/floro connection? Opinions are wide and varied. I’ve used the Albright knot in the past. What’s the thought on lighter line wind-on leaders (ok, two questions)? Thank you!

Steve Garrison

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I use the RP knot to connect braid to fluorocarbon. Wind-on leaders are a hassle with lighter line -- say 50# braid -- because it is so hard for me to do inserts into hollow line that thin. I just use solid braid -- it's much cheaper -- and tie a good connection. Knot pullers and a drop of Tac Glue super glue helps.

Posts: 302 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Thank you for your help.

Steve Garrison