CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Crimping or Tying a Knot for 80lbs to 130lbs Flurocarbon Leaders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crimping or Tying a Knot for 80lbs to 130lbs Flurocarbon Leaders
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I been a long-range fisherman for the past 5 years since retiring. Finally, I have graduated to take my first 15 days trip on the Royal Polaris in April 2016...I have been planning this trip for the past 2 years, and I have all of the equipment I need and some. I have made a number of wind-on leaders for practice, and I will be making some more while on the boat...I need to know which is the best way for attaching ringed hooks to the leaders, crimping or tying one of the various knots I have researched such as the Miller knot, Palomar knot, or the Springer knot that John Collins demonstrated on the RP's website. I know nothing is fool proof when dealing with hopefully a "cow" size tuna, but I want to at least have some advantage and preparation. Any recommendations "crimp" or "knot." I know the knot size is critical as you get into heavier mono or fluro......I am leaning towards crimping......See you on the Big Water!!

Posts: 37 | Registered: 11 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
If you have raged hooks, one of the most popular knots is a San Diego Jam. With practice it cn be tied with 130# flourocarbon. If you aren't using ringed hooks, it might be good to crimp so that the bait can swim a bt better.

Posts: 258 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
For me, from line to hook in mono/fluoro I like crimping with lines from 100 lbs and over. Sometimes 80 lb also.

Posts: 402 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Crimping sounds like the solution....SD Knot I used now on everything up to 60lbs...I am partial to ringed hooks which allows the bait to swim a little more freely. However, I have standard hooks as backup. Thanks again...See ya on the Blue Water,,,

Posts: 37 | Registered: 11 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post