CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Single Hooks fOR HALCO 130
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single Hooks fOR HALCO 130
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I really like trolling with my Halco 130 lures but the treble hooks are a bit dangerous, both when the fish is landed and flopping around and when the trolling rod is in the rod holder with the Halco trebles just waiting to snare a passing fisherman.
I decided to switch to the VMC offset eye single hooks advertised on this site to use a 6/0 hook on the rear and a 5/0 hook beneath the lure. Unfortunately Charkbait in San Diego had only 6/0 sizes of the offset eye hooks (today 8/22/15). Can I use the 6/0 hooks both on the rear and beneath the Halco 130 without impeding the action of the lure?

Posts: 32 | Registered: 18 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, make use of the 6/0 in a heartbeat. Hooks in primetime summer fishing have been a problem to keep in stock from all manufacturers. Some are doing better than others, and as a retailer we can get cleared out before additional inventory arrives. One nice thing about having a couple stores is that we can transfer stuff between 'em as necessary should local distributors be out or a manufacturer themselves run out of a size. But, back to your question, no issue with the 6/0 front and mid. And, you could very likely simply run the trailing hook and be just fine without the belly hook.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1367 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark... My son-in-laws's boat has limited rod storage and you have to squeeze by several rods to get from the fishing cockpit forward. The trebles on the Halco have snagged us several times. Using the single 6/0 at the tail of the Halco could really make the situation safer.
By the way - you seem not only to be the only supplier who stocks these hooks but, one of the few that even knows that these hooks are in existence!
Congrats!

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
When I first saw that hook I was excited since it addressed a problem I had myself when re-rigging some lures. The inline eyed single allowed me to replace treble hooks on lures easily without the hassle and extra hardware of running a ringed hook - and keep the hook orientation going the right way instead of off towards the side which would hinder the action of the lure. Neat hook. We'll see Mustad with a similar hook down the road, but the VMC looks to be the better hook based upon the Mustad I saw (could be that they will produce the hook in a few variations which would negate my reservation).

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1367 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Only a little off topic: How fast can you troll a Halco 130? Can you troll one along side Marauders?

Posts: 268 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I seem to have had the best luck for YFT trolling at about 7-knots. However, the Halco 130 lures can apparently be trolled at faster speeds than that. Here is a blurb from Amazon.com
"This cutting edge bibless minnow can do the lot, be it jigging casting or trolling. Max has a highly streamlined design that gives the 80 gram winner, unbeatable casting ability while allowing trolling speeds of up to 12 knots with minimal trolling resistance. The slender tail section is designed for maximum hook exposure on the strike. Max represents the lure of the future. When casting Halco Max 130 into deeper water, vary the time you allow the lure to sink before starting the retrieve so the lure covers the different depths where fish could be holding. Work the lure back at speed for best results.Max is also a great lure to troll while traveling from spot to spot due to its high speed characteristics.Max was named the Best New Hard Body Lure at the 2007 Australian Tackle Show."
I will have one set up for casting on my next trip out. I feel quite good about switching the hooks to a single tail hook as recommended by Charkbait.
Our best luck has been with a four line rig two cedar plugs (any color) outboard on longer lines and two Halco 130 lures in the center closer to the starn.