CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  South East Atlantic Reports    Middle Grounds on the Gulf Star
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Middle Grounds on the Gulf Star
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of fishingeek
posted
Hello All,

I just booked a 4 hr trip on the Viking Fleet's Gulf Star out of Tarpon Springs, FL leaving June 8th for grouper / snapper etc...

Anyone else been on these trips or going on this one? I would like to hear your experiences on this type of trip if you are willing to share them.

Posts: 101 | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
I hope that you are going for more then a 4 hr tripTwo hours out and two back won't get you half way there. If it's a 48 hr trip you will enjoy it, especially if you like our type of bottom fishing. Make your deal for live bait in advance and plan on fishing at night. You'll do just fine if you listen to the crew. They want you to catch a slew of fish and they know what they are doing. I've been fishing with the Fosbergs out of Montauk for many years and once they leave the dock they want to have a great trip. If you get a chance try one of the overnighters out of Montauk. It's different then Tarpon Springs but both are good.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 14 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Been thinking of doing one of the Middle Ground trips. Which landing has the better boat--Hubbard's or Viking? What are the accomodations like? Any info would be great.

LT

Posts: 86 | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of fishingeek
posted Hide Post
Swflbldr,

I goofed the trip is a 44 hour journey.

FLLR,

I have heard great things about both operations and thought I would give the Viking a shot first and then will try Hubbard's later in the Fall.

Will send a report after my return on June 12th.

Al

Captain
posted Hide Post
Al--Look forward to seeing the report. I only live about 4 hours away. If it is decnt, will definitely give it a try.

LT

Captain
Picture of fishingeek
posted Hide Post
FLLR,

The trip was AWESOME! You should take advantage of the fact that you are only 4 hours away and book a 44hr trip with the Viking Fleet on the Gulfstar.

This is a 65' boat and they only put 16 anglers on the limited trips. If you know what you are doing then you will come home with lots of grouper and snapper. I did okay for a rookie and learned alot from the seasoned fishermen on the boat. I may try to go again late this year if time and $$ allow.

Captain
Picture of fishingeek
posted Hide Post
FLLR,

Have you gone out with the Viking Fleet yet? I am tempted to go out again this Fall.

Al

Captain
posted Hide Post
Al--I never did go out on the Middle Grounds trip. However, since I just had to cancel my 5 day San Diego Long Range trip because of a work conflict,

LelandI will have to look into it again. Probably an October trip, maybe November. Let me know if and when you decide to go.

Was it just sanppers and groupers? Did you get any amberjacks? dorado? Kingfish? other pelagics?

2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Never been on the Gulf Star.
Done the Superstar in Jan and Feb a couple of times and can only speak in superlatives.
Never any dorado though
The last trip Jan 08 was my best FLA 2 day ever.
http://www.noreast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?topic_ID=72709&page=20

Only flaw was the cook not having any mountain dew,unforgiveable

This message has been edited. Last edited by: icestar,

Posts: 33 | Registered: 24 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post