CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Bays & Surf    Fishing the tides, another spotfin north O.C report 5-29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fishing the tides, another spotfin north O.C report 5-29
 Login/Join

CB HB Staff
Captain
Picture of UnReel
posted
Fished this morning before work with my coworker Brandon again. He got some good Intel on some sliding corbina so we went to check it out . Location was near one of my old low tide spots so the plan was to hit it this morning at o dark 30 and catch the bottom of the low (at 6am) as the tide turned and started coming back in/up.
He'd made a batch of ghosties Wednesday morning and saved them for this morning. I didn't have time to make any earlier in the week so on the way to the spot this morning I made a quick pit stop and in about 10min made 50 SC's to use for bait. Took off to meet B at the designated location at 6am. South wind was up, surf was up a bit and there was a strong uphill current with some kelp in it but totally fishable. Within minutes of walking up to the waters edge we where greeted by corbina cruising the drop off. For 2 hrs we tossed GS and SC's at'em for notha. Finally while blind casting a rip flowing into a deep hole I got a solid bite on the SC. Set the hook and ZZZZZZZ of to the races. Fish ran up the beach hugging the drop-off. After a decent battle we finally see color and and and Oh !!! we see a nice spotfin swimming in a wave. After catching a handful of BSP's I was worried the knot to the hook was going to pop so I was really easy on the fish.

Working the fish to shore

Almost to shore

Finally worked it to shore and a roughly 21" spot hits the sand.

21" spotfin croaker

Beautiful spot

Glory shot of the spotfin

Released the spot after taking a couple pics and then went back to fishing hoping we could coax another one to bite but it wasn't meant to be. Took off for work at 9:30am

My fish count for the morning
one 21" spotfin croaker
a dozen or so BSP's from 5 to 10"

Think Brandon had about a dozen BSP's as well.

Thanks again for sharing the sand with me B, always fun !!!!

Tight lines,
B

2014 croaker count
10 corbs to 21"
10 spotfin to 23"

Posts: 169 | Registered: 15 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post