CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  CharkBait Forum  Hop To Forums  CharkBoard Chat    2021 Season Concerns

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
2021 Season Concerns
 Login/Join

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted
We have less worries regarding covid-ccp virus now a year after lockdowns and economic disruptions, for many reasons. There was no spread of virus due to fishing aboard the SD fleet, fresh air and sunlight work as a preventative, some have earned immunity by getting and recovering from the bug, still others have taken a jab. So, more of us have made reservations on our favorite boats and look forward to the normalcy which a summer fishing charter provides. We still have some concerns this season... It's not the WuFlu, it's supply chain. It appears ALL major reel manufacturers are operating at a fraction of the inventory levels which were held this time last year. Even though more folks are fishing, all of 'em projected a decrease in sales during a time of increased sales. Add to this serious shipping problems, not enough hourly warehouse staff, items which are in stock with manufacturers taking 4-8 weeks to get out of the warehouse and on the road. The smaller USA based, family owned reel manufacturers, Avet, Accurate, Seigler, kept their foot on the peddle, kept producing while the big guys drew stock down. Last year we had a shortage of smaller sized circle hooks. This year, rods, reels and some specific lures are simply not available. This season, PLAN AHEAD, don't trust that your favorite hook or fluorocarbon will be available. Get your gear planned well before you have a trip. We've heard from a couple firms that they expect brighter inventory picture in late July. Our concern is that by the time they ramp up supplies the back orders will be so deep that it really won't matter, there will be gaps on the pegs for popular items. Plan ahead, please allow some time in the event things become hard to source.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1570 | Registered: 18 September 2006Report This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
These concerns are not getting fewer, they are increasing. This is a season to remember from a fishing standpoint (great!) and from the many challenges presented by manufacturers, a season of "sorry":
Penn - sorry we could not ship this season, actually for a calendar year...
Daiwa - sorry we lost two containers crossing the pacific and didn't plan on running out of everything...
Okuma - sorry it's been very hard getting things shipped from Asia, but we're trying...
bike maker - who knows, who cares, they're out...
Accurate - sorry, due to labor not coming back to work due to excessive unemployment pay we can't produce/assemble reels for orders for 8 to 12 weeks
Avet - sorry, the firm doing anodizing can't get their workers back due to CA unemployment paying more than working. We've got the parts, but reels are coming back from anodizing in a trickle...
Owner - sorry, we can't project sales very well and once again we ran out of smaller circle hooks, assist hooks...
Zuker - sorry, can't find workers to make lures
CharkBait - sorry, we've our shipping staff is out this week. New orders will not be shipped until existing orders are cleared, expect 1 week delay in spooling and shipping as of today - Monday 8/9.

The list goes on, we're having our own issues with staffing, too. We have our own reasons to say, "we're sorry." Today, Monday, we'll face our own challenges in shipping. Can't be helped, we have two men down in the shipping dept. We're a small business, efficiency is key - allowing us to be more competitive than most. Our efficiency is slowing us down... We are backed up on spooling reels and in shipping. We are manpower light, with two guys out this week it will slow us down considerably.

Consequently, it looks like shipping will be impacted this week. We may have to trim some hours in the shop. I'm very much tempted to put a hold on new internet sales while we catch up on orders which are already in progress, or close the shop for a week while we catch up on existing orders. Neither are good options, but options are few. There's a limit on manpower, and skilled people can't be replaced by the flick of a switch. You dance with who brought you to the party... Stay tuned.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chark,

Great Stuff!
Mark

Pinhead
Picture of Bill Doggett
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you (since The Beth) and a penchant of mine for the salt I miss so in this dry desert of the lower Columbia Basin region of WA, I have double gear from 12# through unlimited. Mostly to have salty gear around for my health. Unused to barely used, superbly maintained across the board. I feel fortunate in that I can outlast 40 more years of this mess in the gear department and I make more in a stable position than the outrageous unemployment benefits that is presently destroying Portland and Seattle locally.
If there is anything I can do to help let me know. Wish I lived closer. I'd be there willing to do anything you could find for me to do gratis on weekends. Lifetime CC Bill

Keep the Charkbait banner flying at any cost.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words. We muddled thru our staff shortage in August. Impact proved to be minimal because Sergey, one of two who were out "sick" returned in the evening to get things packed and out the door after hours. I'll share what occurred, and probably take some flak for expressing my opinion - oh, well. Two part time employees got the jab because college required (unconstitutionally). Within two weeks we had two men here get the WuFlu, we never had issue before, did not have anyone out for any illness over the prior near two year "plandemic" period even though our shop was open and we all worked with public daily. One fellow had VERY mild symptoms - like none - but positive test and stayed out 10 days, my son had a fever for a night, then felt pretty crappy for a couple days. Lost some weight since everything tasted like it had scoops of salt added. He was back to regular hours at work within six days and covered shipping at night when other staff was off. I believe our staff illness was caused by virus shedding caused by the jabs - that's my belief and time can be the judge. All were good within a few days, we did not lose more than one day shipping effort thanks to everyone stepping up and picking up for those who were out. This whole thing is a farce in my estimation. Lot can be said regarding bogus testing, origin of the bug, poor policy decisions based upon political rather than medical concerns. Here in CA, as you have experienced in Oregon Bill, we have folks in elected office and unelected officials imposing totalitarian dictate taking away our liberties every day. Going out on a boat fishing, that brings back the freedom we all crave, with sunshine and fresh air being the best cure for what ails us...and free and fair elections by educated voters being our best salvation from tyranny. We've all been lied to, by those who should be representing our interests but chose a different master. In both our states we have G.Soros funded politicians (that in and of itself should be illegal), attorney generals..., working on an agenda which runs counter to citizen interests. Maybe we all had to walk down this path in order to effect change. It's worldwide, it ain't just about America or Mr. Trump.

Great Stuff!
Mark