New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which raptor?
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
For use as a jigging reel on the east coast for flat fall jigs and speed jigs for amberjack, grouper and snapper with the occasional king mackerel and tuna up to 25 pounds or so thrown in? Water depth will be from 600 feet and shallower? Will go on a UC tilefish junior rod.......is the SX raptor enough or do I need to go a bit bigger?

Posts: 4 | Registered: 20 April 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Line test and line capacity are considerations, for sure. Thinking Tilefish...the little SX Raptor may feel a little too small on the rod. An MXJ might be a nicer fit, more line per crank on retrieve... For most fish, that's a dandy option. I'm more of a fan of the JX size, in my hands it's perfection for casting, nice balance on a Tilefish. The gearing is an advantage at 6:1 & 3:1 verses 6 & 4 on the MX series.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark. Will be calling and ordering one or the other in the next couple of weeks......

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love my JX Raptor and would recommend it for your use. The SX is too small for that rod and doesn't hold enough line to fish 600 feet deep, IMHO.

Posts: 279 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
so how about the MXJ raptor? The tilefish jr currently wears a G2 MXL and is fished for snapper and grouper. The MXL will be switched over to the UC mega deckhand I have coming for snapper and grouper. I would be fishing 50lbs braid on the tilefish and what ever reel I use for jigging, so the mxj raptor will hold plenty of 50lbs braid and the drag could actually fish up to 60 pounds.....I know the gear ratio is not the best on the MX series (being 6/4:1, or thereabouts) but I have fished high speed reels as jigging reels in the past and managed to do well over here on the east coast.....thoughts?

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I probably don't need to say, but owning one inevitably leads to owning more. The MXJ will prove quite nice, but you are still missing a JX in your aresnal. That alone may be enough to temp you towards that direction...with an MXJ Raptor still something worth owning. Asking a tackle-ho for recommendations carries a risk of infection.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Just to be on the safe side and to cover all big water situations that I could find my self in. I purchased one Raptor in each size.
I have found myself using all of them on my off shore trips in Baja and Florida.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 13 July 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys......I think the closest thing I can use as a comparison for the way this reel will be used here is the way you guys fish yellowtail(both bait and iron). Mark once I get ready to make the purchase, I will give the shop a call and have an in depth discussion about the exact way this reel will be used to make a decision.

Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
bryguy,

Yes our yellowtail are pretty much the same as the amber and almaco jacks. I fish in the Sea of Cortez at times and have caught all three types of these jacks. I use a standard JX with 40 lb toppers often for these fish but 50 lb a Raptor would be much better. Mark is right about the JX size being very nice for this type of fishing, as a matter of fact the only reel I bring down with me is my JX. I do have other gear that stays in Baja but my JX stays with me here or in Baja.

You may want to look at some of the types of iron we use here like the Salas 6x jr. That's what I mainly use for the YT and what I have caught both the amber and almaco jacks on in Baja when fishing the yoyo iron.

Here is a Baja AJ caught on a 6x jr

Edit: I just noticed in the pic that the rod on the right in the rocket launcher has the JX on it I was using. Too bad that the iron I was using is not visible or it would of been a perfect pic for this post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SoCalAngler,

Posts: 406 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post