CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  CharkBait Forum  Hop To Forums  CharkBoard Chat    RE: Summer trolling questions!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RE: Summer trolling questions!!
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
I still need help as I am a novice! I was curious about trolling for Albies and othe tuna this summer. I figure they will be between 20 to 30 lbs. Does 50 pound mono with a 80 pound floro leader on the lure sound about right? The other thing is I hear double and treble hooks are trouble on the lures. I am told single hooks are the way to go. My troubling issue is what do I troll? What size lure, colors, brands, etc... I know this has to do with the size of the fish and conditions but I am willing to bet my bottom dollar they will be about 20 to 30 lbs. What do you all suggest? I am guessing I need something between 5 to 6 inches in length with a 7/0 to 8/0 hook. My worry is that I will buy stuff like last year that is intended for bigger tuna you see on 5+ day trips. I plan on going on a 2 day trip in August. Fred Hall show is arround the corner and I want to get trolling tackle most suitable for that trip. I don't want to be a pest but help please! Trolling is something completely new to me.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Big Fish
posted Hide Post
I don't know which boat you're booked on, but most of the better boats will have trolling rigs which you can use and the crew will usually tie on the lures which have been working for them. However, if you want to use your own setup, feel free to do so. Usually tuna feathers (Mexican flag, Mean Joe Green, blue/white, orange/black) are the lures of choice, but other times a cedar plug (plain or painted) will work best. There really is no need to go to the fluro leader and it's usually a straight 80# tie. Use a swivel on the double hook to prevent unwanted line twist. When all else fails ask the crew and they will set you up. Where you fishing? Good luck and I hope this answers some of your questions.

Posts: 73 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Big Fish covered it pretty well I’d just add one more color feather into the mix, a black/purple. You can’t go wrong with Zuker feathers or grass skirts.

Most captains like people to troll with 80lb test but sometimes I use 60lb on the sporties. On private boats you can go lighter if you want. On my tuna trolling lures I have them pre rigged with 6-8 feet of 80lb mono with a double trolling hook connected with a swivel. On the other end I attach another swivel and on the line from the rod I attach a snap swivel. This setup allows a quick change option if I want to change color or lure type.

I select color and lure type on the conditions. On darker and overcast skies I use a dark color trolling lure and on bright days I use a lighter color. In windy or bumpy weather a heaver lure maybe in order, something with a metal head like a cedar plug or jet head. Anyway the Zukers and the cedar plug should be good to get you started.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, I like to troll on the corners of the boat if I can. I feel they get bit better.

Posts: 406 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Thnak you for the 411. I am going to book a trip on the Ocean Odyssey. It is the only 2 day boat scheduled where my boss and my friend/co worker could come (work staffing issues). Last year I did a one day tuna trip. Nobody got hit on the troll (that is fishing!). I have the gear and choose to use it even though the boats provide the trolling gear. I was using 130 pound leaders with 60 pound mono for the main line. I will now tone some of them down to 80 pound. I do have some feathers and plugs but wanted to see if there was anything I could add to the shopping list at the show. I can't wait until summer!

Posts: 21 | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post