CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  CharkBait Forum  Hop To Forums  CharkBoard Chat    CharkBait Website
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CharkBait Website
 Login/Join

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted
As mentioned, we are in the midst of finally doing a major overhaul on our website. The old site did me well for about 20 years time. Should have been updated about 15 years back... Old software allowed me to do some things differently than others, more text driven. But, old software is aging (like me), devices change, operating systems change, and expectations. After saying, I also wasn't looking forward to another learning curve, with the San Diego shop the past 10 years didn't offer much free time to fiddle. Time moves on...

My son Sergey, who many of you know since he's been working here for since Jr.High, is far brighter than I. Well, he finally realized that time spent learning website design might be a better use of time than video games! I was waiting patiently for this day to come!!! A few months ago he began working on replacing our old CB site....

We're now in the beta testing phase. We loaded the new CharkBait website on another domain of ours, the site is up running. We encourage folks to visit the site and provide some feedback. The site is functional, orders can be taken now. We'll give it a month or so on the alternate location before we bite the bullet and take down the old CB and replace with the new version.

For now, we have two ways to order.
1. CharkBait.com, or...
2. New CharkBait site via Ahi Assassin's domain. To visit, just type in ahiassassin.com in your browser or click here: CharkBait via Ahi Assassin . (https://www.ahiassassin.com) Please do let us know what you like and what we need to enhance.

Thanks,
Mark
p.s. We said we'd get her done in January...barely, but Sergey did it! (reminds me of his physics project...)

Posts: 1513 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Very clean! 1st impression “very neat”. Well done. I have not click everything yet but so far so good except some “Spec” can stroll left to right and some can’t (on phone though). Attached is a page from Sunline FlouroCarbon that couldn’t.

I will try the laptop version tomorrow if I get a chance. Thank you

Posts: 48 | Registered: 13 April 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Just a couple comments: The new website looks pretty generic. Was it made with a canned website developing tool? If it were mine, I'd modify the look a bit. Also, will the chat page be part of the new site? I hope so. There hasn't been a lot of traffic lately but I do think it is worthwhile.

Posts: 293 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Thanks, and Sergey will appreciate all feedback. The CharkBoard will have a navigation line easily accessible, it's not going away, serves a purpose and can be developed in some other ways.

We did not opt to have folks in Ukraine or India make the site Sergey is building. He's pulling resources from several sources. Some things easy, some things not. One of the hard ones is reel spooling options, configurations, etc. I think he nailed that one nicely. He will learn as we move along, and speed of site will improve.

Chrome/Google/other internet operating protocals have been a problem these past few years. Google has really forced us to widen the use of our security certification across the full site rather than where it's most needed - when ordering. We lost our site for several days this past year when Google decided to make a change which effected the way the server handles our files, took a few days to discover the issue and fix. Those problems will no doubt persist as time moves along. So, we either source a build thru another firm and lose control or we build ourselves - and that's always been an a priority. Sergey has been on a major learning curve. He's more of a hardware engineer than a software/developer type guy in school. Much like me, he's learning as he's putting pieces of the site together. Lots for him to learn...I have faith he will.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1513 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Crew
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Explorer:
Very clean! 1st impression “very neat”. Well done. I have not click everything yet but so far so good except some “Spec” can stroll left to right and some can’t (on phone though). Attached is a page from Sunline FlouroCarbon that couldn’t.

I will try the laptop version tomorrow if I get a chance. Thank you
Thanks for the feedback, you'll be able to scroll on all of the table within the next few days hopefully. I pretty much just added the items and basic information first and now I'll be going through trying to tidy it up. The reels should all be done, just have to go through the rest of the items.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 03 February 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Crew
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ak-fish:
Just a couple comments: The new website looks pretty generic. Was it made with a canned website developing tool? If it were mine, I'd modify the look a bit. Also, will the chat page be part of the new site? I hope so. There hasn't been a lot of traffic lately but I do think it is worthwhile.
It does looks pretty generic for the most part, I haven't had too much time to do the graphics design of it but it is definitely a priority. Right now theres quite a lot of white space and not too much content, especially on the home page. I'll add a link to the chat page since it is hosted separately. Any suggestions on what would make it less generic, is it all of the pages or mainly the home page?

Posts: 5 | Registered: 03 February 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Found a minor typo -

https://ahiassassin.com/produc...er-xtreme-rail-rods/

3rd paragraph under description that starts with "7 and 7 1/2 foot length...." Word starting second sentence "Buy" probably meant to be "But"

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11 February 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
New site will not accept my username and password. I have no problem getting into the old site with them.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11 February 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CB HB Staff
Captain
Picture of UnReel
posted Hide Post
From the Charkbait home page

pic of the week under #2 "You will need to create a new account on the site, but I think you'll find the navigation easier, "

Posts: 172 | Registered: 15 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post