CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  CharkBait Forum  Hop To Forums  CharkBoard Chat    Dorado/Yellowtail reel????
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dorado/Yellowtail reel????
 Login/Join

Captain
posted Hide Post
PS, my Tennessee opinion is based on the fact that I own a MXL 2 speed, a JX 2 speed and a Saltist 40. For Dodo's and YT, I love my MXL. Smaller but with a ton of line capacity. Again, I bought the 2 speed simply because I want as much flexibility in my gear.

I load my MXL with 50# Izor solid and tie 25# Izor XXX as a top shot and always use some floro. I can go light with 20# floro when the bite gets picky. My MXL is on a Seeker Blacksteel 670. This is a wonderfully balanced outfit.

I do love my JX and that is what I use for slingin' iron. My JX will hopefully be my go to reel on my late summer 7 day trip when I hope to get into some better grade tuna's. I also like my Saltist, and for the money is a great reel. But at the end of the day, I love my Avets.

For by your words you will be aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matt 12:37

Posts: 191 | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
MX and MXL are my most used Avet reels.

BTW, Diawa and Penn build good reels.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Yellowtail and dorado, I feel that these fish can be brought to the boat on a $200 or less reel. I know that you can't help feeling that the best reel must surly make a difference, but It's a little like hunting Jack rabbits with a Mountain goat rifle , make sense? But my excuse for buying good gear is just maybe a mountain goat will pop up out of the rabbits hole !!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
Hey Pigsticker, unless you are trying to hammer a cow YFT do the Baja Special and the Newell.

I own both and have worked as a deckhand on LR boats so I'm qualified to recommend a reel. I do not own an Avet but have used some, nice enough reels but I wasn't impressed enough to buy any.

I'm not a fan of Avets, don't get me wrong they are not bad reels, I just like the Penn's and Newell's a whole lot better as in my opinion you will have less trouble over the long run.

And nothing can out cast a Newell.

If you get the Newell get a Penn HT100 drag kit and replace it's washers right out of the box.

Get a jar of Cal's drag grease and grease the drags too also what ever reels you get get them soon enough to do a tear down and lube (I use Yamaha blue grease) as they will be in the rod holders for a week subject to a lot of salt water from splashes and deckies doing wash downs. See Alan Tani's reel tutorials for how too, nobody does a better job on reel care than Alan does.

I don't like all aluminum reels in saltwater, I also hate reels where the drag washer is glued to one side of the spool (Avets) so if you wish to change washers you have to send it to the factory or buy a new spool.

Call Mark and see if he as a Baja Special hidden somewhere and he's also got the best prices around on the Newell's.

I personally would for the Dodo's and small (25#) YT use a Calstar/Seeker 270H and a Newell 322 or 332.

You could a 270 and a Newell 229 which would be a kick.

JMHO Smiler

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jan Z, as well as everyone else who has offered up their advice.

It is obvious that I have an incredible amount of information that I must disect and make a decision on.

" what to do, what to do " hhhhmmmmmmm

Posts: 893 | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SDTuna09
posted Hide Post
Get out the plastic and by a full reel bag full and see what works best.

SDTuna

Posts: 248 | Registered: 05 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
Hahahahaahhaa

Yea. I'll be shopping at Dad's store before the trip.

Hopefully I'll be able to buy EVERY PIECE of gear for a 15 dayer brand new.

If my FFL License comes in soon, i'll be a Firearms dealer and making huge money. NOT on big mark-ups. I do NOT believe in that. But rather by selling a ton of weapons at small mark ups. The Sam Walton ( Wal-Mart ) credo.
" If you can buy for a dollar, and sell for 2 dollars, then you are doing great ".

2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
FFL is a good business right now...Obama has all the prices/sales going through the roof...just remember, the big money is in accesories!

The impossibilities are endless!!!

Posts: 40 | Registered: 28 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
...and don't forget ammunition. If you could get .223/5.56 in stock you would do quite good for yourself!

The impossibilities are endless!!!

Posts: 40 | Registered: 28 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
If you are going to sell online let us know. I am a firearm enthusiast myself.

Chad

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
YES I WILL BE AN ONLINE DEALER.

However, it will be dealer to dealer as per ATF regulations. BUT!@ I will not be charging an arm and a leg like a lot of dealer's for this.
It will be a flat fee of $20.00 plus postage.

Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
That's how I picked up my last firearm. You should be able to pick up whatever tackle you want once that gets going!

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
Okay Gang. The FFL application just went out in today's mail. Let's hope it comes back okie dokie.
I'll then be making a major large purchase and setting up an online store.

I'll keep ya posted.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Very nice Piggy. Hope it comes back in the positive for you.

Posts: 73 | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
Thanks bruddah!