CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  CharkBait Forum  Hop To Forums  CharkBoard Chat    2.5 Day Trip Shopping List
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2.5 Day Trip Shopping List
 Login/Join

Deckhand
Captain
posted
I am looking into a 2.5 day trip on the Sea Adventure 80 the first week of June. I started looking the site over to resupply the Salt Water gear and checked out the "What to bring article" (very handy, thanks Chark).

I have 6 rigs for 3 people

Accurate 870 on a Calstar 700M
Accurate 270 on a Seeker G670
Shimano Calcutta 400 on a Seeker Inshore Series II Blue Lightning 12-20lb

Avet MXL 6.0 on a Shimano Talus 25-40lb
Avet SX 5.1 on a Calstar BWCDH 220CC 12-30lb
Shimano Cardiff on a Custom inshore rod (12-20lb Medium Hevy Action)

It has been a painful 3 years since I have gotten to use these rigs. So they need some TLC, definitely new line. Do reels need to be rebuilt after a certain period of time? Should I be worried about the lubricant & grease breaking down after so much time sitting in my bed room?

Shopping list

7 packs of 2/0 Gamakatsu ringed live bait hooks
8 packs of 3/0 Gamakatsu ringed live bait hooks
26 yards of 20lb Fluorocarbon leader
26 yards of 30lb Fluorocarbon leader

Will I have to worry about weights, trolling lures, Wahoo lures, or rod belts on this trip? Should I get some 4/0 hooks?
Are the inshore rods dead weight on this trip? Is a SX Jig stick to light for this trip?

Thanks for the input

Posts: 262 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
You might take a trolling outfit(60-80)

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
When I think of a June 2.5 day trip I think of offshore albacore and kelp patty yellow tail fishing. My main setups for this kind of trip would be a 30lb test setup and a 20lb setup. I would mostly use the 30lb setup and keep the 20lb for line/boat shy tuna. Also, you may have anchovies to fish with and I would use the 20lb for this too. Most likely you won’t be at any of the islands so I really don’t see a need to go with lighter line unless you want to do some playing around.

To me it looks like you may have too many hook packs in the sizes you mentioned. I would cut it down a couple of packs in each size and add some smaller hook packs for fishing the anchovies, if you have them on the boat. You really should not lose too many hooks unless you are doing something wrong.

I would add some weights like rubber core ¼, ½ and 3/4oz. Most of the time you will fly line baits with no weight but sometimes a little weight added can be the hot ticket for albacore. One pack of each should be good, again you should not loose many unless your doing something wrong.

As already stated if you have a trolling rig and you want to bring it go for it. If you do some tuna feather type lures and maybe a cedar plug is all you will need to bring for trolling. In the 2.5 day range there is really no chance of catching wahoo.

A day type rod belt is nice to have on a trip like this, but do you really need one? No. If I was going on a trip like this would I bring mine? You bet.

Now if for some reason the tuna and tails are not showing your trip may turn into bottom fishing trip where rigging up would be different. Keep an eye on the fishing reports when it gets closer to your departure. Look for overnight trips and ones up to 3 days and this should give you a good idea on what you will be fishing for and if needed you can make adjustments.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SoCalAngler,

Posts: 407 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Revised Shopping list

4 packs of 1/0 Gamakatsu ringed live bait hooks
5 packs of 2/0 Gamakatsu ringed live bait hooks
6 packs of 3/0 Gamakatsu ringed live bait hooks
26 yards of 20lb Fluorocarbon leader
26 yards of 30lb Fluorocarbon leader
1 bag of 1/4 oz weights
1 bag of 1/2 oz weights
1 bag of 3/4 oz weights

I don't have a trolling rig (yet) so I guess I won't worry about trolling lures. I don't have a rod belt so I guess I won't buy one. What are the chances of making bait on this trip? Do I need a sabiki or squid jig rig?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Trapt in Arizona,

Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
I have not fished on this boat but it should have way more bait capacity than you will use in two days, so no you shouldn’t need to make bait.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Do you remember the TUNA 2-STEP ?
The DO-DO WALTZ ?
The CALICO COOCHIE COOCHIE ?
The ROCKFISH RUMBA ?

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
never heard of those moves, but even I can remember "No angles No tangles."

Haven't gotten to try the Do-Do Waltz but that sure would make for a great trip!

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Sh!tmano rod is out of action. Looking for a replacement to match to the Avet MXL 6.0. Looking at setting it up as a 30lb or maybe a 40lb baitstick. I might want to use it as a yo-yo stick when the need arises as well. Input is apprecitated.

Thanks!

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Running both 30 and 40? May not sound like a big spread, but it's still a 25% difference in the amount of drag you'd be pulling if you really set it up for that use. MX series really is best for 30# so I'd look towards that first. Seeker's Black Steel 670 is a wonderful 30, Calstar's 700ML also fills that niche exceptionally. You could run the 700M and cover both, a little stiff at 30, but good pulling and can do 40. Calstar's West Coast 670 also can cover both. But, again the MX series is best used 20-30# based upon it's drag and capacity.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1518 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I am seriously considering the 700ML and the G670, but also looking at the less expensive versions like the WC970C and the SC670 and SC6470. Will any of these rods do double duty for vertical jigging when needed? Do I have to worry about breaking a tip with a vertical jig? Is there a maximum weight for jigs with these rods? Or is there a different reason why these might not be god for yo-yo jigs?

Does a faster taper (i.e. 700ML vs SC6470) allow for farther casts with live bait?

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Is a SX Jig stick to light for this trip?

I am looking to fish bait at least 60% of the time on the MX, and throw on a yo-yo jig or a dropper loop if the Surface bite dies.

Will a Seeker 670 work for dropper loops and yo-yo jigs when times get tough?

Will the Calsar WC970C work better for this application?

Thanks

Captain
posted Hide Post
Please check the side of the rod , they have a rating for the line test, some also have recomended lure weights too. Check the reels drag spec's, that will give you it's best suited for line test. Remember- (25-30%) of line test is what a Drag should be set at in strike. Then you only need to think about the rod length, that is you preference. Travel accomodations, a 10 foot long jig stick is a little tough to pack for me. Are you tall? Short arms etc.? 6 foot is preety good average for a bait stick / YO-YO, 8 foot is preety good for Irons/bait also. "What color ?" That's the hardest thing for me to decide !!! Ha Ha !!Reason= It doesn't make a dang difference, That's why !!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Let me start out by saying I’m a Calstar guy and most all of my saltwater rods are made by them or using their blanks. I also fish a lot of glass rods and have some composites too, just to let you know where I come from so to speak.

If I was looking to get a rod for double duty, meaning fishing with it for more than one line class, I would look at what would be the line class I would mainly use the rod with. I would when select a rod that can fish that rating best and still be able to fish one line class up or down. IMO it is better to fish a lighter line on a heavier rated rod than it is to have a rod that is over matched for the line being fished but I like a stiffer rod any way (wow that doesn’t sound right). That being said many rods can and are fished one line class over their optimal rating. One example of this is the 670 Mark mentioned, for many years and still to this day some Long Range diehards love this rod for fishing 40lb test line for Wahoo. Here is an example of going the other route. For several years I fished a custom wrapped Calstar 6470 as my 30lb rod and it worked great. Many people could say that I was under fishing that rod but I have caught more fish with that rod than any other I own. I now have another rod for fishing 30lb test and leave the 6470 for 40lb duty.

I believe when selecting a rod that the person that is going to fish it should pull on a few rods rated for the type of fishing their going to do when ever possible. That way you are sure to get the rod that is best matched for you. I know that everyone isn’t lucky enough to be able to do this but if you can I would highly recommend it.

Ok, enough of my rambling lets get back to some of your questions. First there should be no reason to worry about breaking a tip while yoyo iron or dropper loop fishing other than high sticking a rod while fighting a fish. The main reason people use 40lb rated gear for this is because most of the time this method is used when around islands or banks where structure can be a problem, as the fish can run to it and break you off. Also while casting the iron and you get the inevitable backlash it helps you from losing jigs. If you are offshore fishing tuna or fishing lighter surface iron there is much less of a chance of this happening.

In the two rods you mentioned there will not be a huge difference in casting distance.

The SX could be used for a 20lb bait stick, fish smaller surface type iron or to fish the plastic/lead head swim baits.

Between the Seeker and the Calstar which is the better stick for dropper loop fishing? Sorry I can not help you there but I can say that the Calstar 970 is what I got to fish 30lb string on.

To me it looks like you have 40lb test covered for yoyo or dropper loop fishing with your 700m anyway.

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Yeah I love my 700M as a 40lb, but I am trying to get my brother set up with a rig for the trip.

Thanks for the help SoCal.

Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
If it were me looking to buy another stick for the MXL I would look hard at Calstar 670, 970 and the 700ml. As Mark said that reel is good for 30lb line and the rods listed will match up great with the MXL reel. Don’t get me wrong Seeker makes fine rods and a 7 foot rod rated for 30 string made by them would work nicely, but like I said I’m a Calstar guy.

A seven foot rod is a good all around rod IMO and you can fish bait or yoyo with it fine.

For the type of trip your doing dropper loop or yoyo iron fishing should be no problem with 30lb test. That is unless some nice size Blue Fin decides to show up.