CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  CharkBait Forum  Hop To Forums  CharkBoard Chat    harness on 18 day trip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

harness on 18 day trip
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
I will be on the Royal Polaris and I am not sure if I should wear a harness or just use a rail plate on my 2*4 with an Avet 50 wide. I only way about 165lb and I will be near 70 when the trip leaves. Any suggestions would be appreciated.....

Sam

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
IMO a full harness is best used on shorter rods like 5.5 or maybe 6'. A 2X4 I feel would be better as a rail rod and too long for a full harness but bring it because you may feel differently when using just the plate.

Posts: 402 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
About the only time I use my harness on long trips is when I am on the kite. I strap in and it is so much easier to hold to rod if I get stuck in kite jail. That works even with a long rod like a 2x4 or whatever the boat is using as a kite rod.

Posts: 261 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Good feedback. I like my Smitty plate and Spyder harness, will still use when the fish is way off on a long bait soak or as mentioned on the kite. Once it's a vertical game, the program may change to use of rail. I think better to have and not need than need and not have on a longer trip.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1342 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your suggestions and tips.

Tight lines,

Sam

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post