CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  CharkBait Forum  Hop To Forums  CharkBoard Chat    Stay away from First String Especially with women..
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stay away from First String Especially with women..
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
I am posting this in response to a suggestion Mark Made...I was doing a lot of long range fishing till a cruddy experience two years ago on the First String...now I must say, I had previously caught lots of fish on an earlier trip. However, I made the mistake of taking my wife aboard....a friend of the skipper was aboard and he clearly did not like women aboard. He kept bumping her from behind, or casting over her shoulder and "accidentally" hitting her with the rod. After the first day, and when it began the second, I took the relief skipper aside and complained bitterly after the friend blew me off and continued. I explained that I would not tolerate this behavior and if the crew did not put a stop to it, I would. They did nothing and it happened shortly thereafter, at which time my wife screamed at him and got in his face...I went for the Jerk and was grabbed by the crew....I must admit he got the message then, but I then got treated absolutely rottenly by the backup skipper the rest of the trip...I cancelled the trip we had sched for a couple weeks later and will never fish the First String again. It is clear that they believe women should not be out fishing and that is just so wrong. My advice, stick with the better boats, like RP, stay away from the cheaper deals...you get what you pay for. Besides, the food ain't great.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 28 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
That happens in alot of places, not just this boat, but in alot of places. The best wayto deal with this unavoidable type of behaviour is to do the same to the weird guy that he is doing to your wife. just give him a little rub on the rump or rub your hand or arm gently upon him. if he feels that he is the target of unsolicited advances it will surely defeat his oppressive manipulations and being on the other side of "the touch" will convince him that you are both too weird , even for him. Just don't get too carried away and turn gay, that would defeat the whole purpose!!! The best defense is a great offense-VINCE LOMBARDI, or viceaversa that's a great man.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
the first string has always established a respectfull boat/capt and crew.
hard to say whats going on now, though i have not rode on it for 2 years.
had my wife on a simular trip years ago.
i was watching her wind in her first yellowtail, and one of the deckys was very , very close to her rear, as assisting her to hold the rod up.
as she would bend over to gain some line, THATS WHEN I GOT PIST and kindly pushed the deck off to the side, WITH A I,LL KEEL YOU LOOK IN MY FACE.
he got the message and my wife was being tortured by the strong pull of the yellow.

i kinda feel for what your going through, and results like this will chase any female off the boat.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
If the boat owner's won't do anything in response to such unacceptable behavior your only real vote is economic, i.e., don't ride it and let others know of the situtation through forums like Charkbait!

OT

Posts: 22 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
As the father of two daughters BS like this has always been a concern for me. My girls were taught from an early age to never put up with this kind of behavior. They would have "acidently" hit the prick in the sack with their rod butt. My oldest, the hunter, might even put in a kick or two.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Smokeybear, contact the landing's owners (or better yet have your lawyer do it.) This type of behavior can be litigated both civilly and criminally.Enter a potential lawsuit, and the behavior is punished.

Posts: 760 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I view our board as a community, that sort of spirit is often missing in the too large cities we live in, but the internet can make the world seem a bit smaller and allow folks a forum for discussing things. In the old days, in smaller towns, folks knew who they dealt with and bad behavior could be modified through natural consequences... In big cities, that's not something that happens so often, and that's a pity. But, boards like ours shrink things back to the basics. I think it's important to share both good and bad experiences. I can say the same about our business, sometimes we do great (hopefully more than sometimes), but we can have our failings too. When we screw up, it's a great wake-up call for improvement and for getting back to basics. Criticism can be very constructive. In the case of the situation mentioned on the boat, I'll grant that that's probably not the way the boat owner or regular skipper like to have things done. And, I'm sure they don't want a bad rap on them for an isolated negative situation. But, bringing up such an unacceptable situation opens the door to discuss the good boats, and ways to improve the experience for anyone on a fishing trip.

We've almost always had gals on our RRIII Charters, and they've been great to have on the boat, added a lot to the overall enjoyment of everyone (even if it did mean we lost one of the heads to their use). The deckhands on these trips have been great, offering professional assistance the way it should be. Same story goes for kids that get the chance to catch our fishing infection and spend some quality time with dad. I've only had one experience that was not up to par. One of the guys on our charter made some comments to a gal that was on the boat. As chartermaster, I took him aside, suggested I'd be happy to drop him off at the bait barge or he'd need to change his attitude immediately and keep a distance. We had no more issues with the fellow, and I'd say he contributed to the trips enjoyment once he sobered up and had the benefit of a rather direct discussion with me. The boat has a responsibility, the charter master has a responsibility, too to make sure that the trip is enjoyable for all. The better boats are mose expensive, but the quality of the overall experience is worth the price of admission in my estimation. As well, we in the sportfishing community, and all of us who enjoy fishing aboard the big boats have a responsibility to ensure that folks have a great time on these trips. We all have a bit of a responsibility to rein in those who don't have sense, whether fishing or our communities.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1295 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
I agree , that's respection, selfrespect and respect to others.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
As I had posted years ago on the other well known board before I was thrown off the board...The big well known LR boats have top crews, they are at top of their tasks and many have their own skippers tickets and just waiting for their turn for a second ticket spot. The smaller boats have guys who aren't there yet--many are just a step above high school drops outs up from teh hald day cattle barges. Some deckies think working these boats is akin ot being an oil rig rouoghneck or construction crew, all cursing and macho swagger. Maybe they have watched too manay episodes of those crab fishing shows where all they do is curse and throw temper tantrums. They don't understand that this is not a fishing business, but a hospitality business. Nordstroms does not just sell overpriced shoes and clothing, they sell customer service. They bend over backwards to make the customer feel special, appreciated, and to come spend more money again. That's what seperates them from other retail places. Just as Mark does not just sell fishing tackle, he gives the best service and attention so as to have the most loyal customer base who will spend more money there.

Some fishing boat operators seem to understand this concept, many don't. There is no excuse for this deckie's behavior, and if the skipper did not understand that then things need to be taken care of. A quick "accidental" knee to the sack just might clear the deckie's mind...."

Eeker...just trying to keep him from assaulting my wife, yoru honor, and that was even after I had asked the skipper to stop his assaultive behavior and the skipper apparelty failed to cease his deckie's conduct."

I am sure Piggie would do more than just gut check his sack. He'd throw the deckie's ass over the side then go after the skipper for failing to do his job.....

Posts: 224 | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
LONG TIME AGO, Those were the good ol days when you could speak your mind and perves weren't tolerated !!!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Attack a crewmember and you may end up outnumbered in their realm. Deckies are like carnies in more ways than one-and they will gang up on anyone that attacks one any of them.
Far better to wait 'til the dock, when he's alone.

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Where I was raised if a woman/girl defends herself from an assault anyone stopping her ends up unhappy.....at best.

The bottom line is we all must work toward ending this BS behavior.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I've been fishing on the First String with my wife for over 3 years now and have never had a problem between the crew and other females on the boat. Maybe it is different as the boat is chartered instead of open, but the crew has been very good with everybody. We go with others who have went on other boats and their opinion is the same.
Of course the women on our trips are either law enforcement or married to someone who is law enforcement and have been known to be able to defend themselves. They can spot an idiot and are more than happy to say something.
I have seen crew have to put up with idiots as well. I know perfectly well in dealing with idiots day in and day out can be annoying and one can only put up with so much.
As for the unwelcome advances mentioned here, it should not happen. I just haven't seen it on the First String. I do agree that it should not be tolerated.

Posts: 73 | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Agate D ,COME ON ! We are a lot like Carnies ? Dude , you could have said a lot like Firemen or Policemen . Like Family Members .Like any risky occupation we have to look after each other . There are good and not so good crews . I will not hesitate to get in the middle of a fight to stop it regardless of who it is . My main job is to make sure that the boat that I'm working on is safe . If some Deadhead/Regular is causing ANYONE grief I'll deal with it in a swift manner . If another Deckhand is being a Scumball/Perv we will deal with our own just as swiftly . The Captain is responsible for what happens . Go to him before it comes to blows or settle it on the dock . We want return/new customers and our Woman customers are some of the nicest people that we have the pleasure to take fishing . Women and Children are the future Of the Sportfishing Industry so take good care of them . Just because someone paid their fare doesn't give them the right to ruin your trip .

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Pedro-imagine-that remark stood for almost two months before you saw it. If you have read the post that started it all-professional? Not hardly.
My first post was what I would have done if the situation happened to me. I stand by it.
My other post was a possible warning to those that might take matters into their own hands offshore. I stand by it also.