CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  CharkBait Forum  Hop To Forums  CharkBoard Chat    Stay away from First String Especially with women..
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stay away from First String Especially with women..
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
LIke the others said as well. Most of the Boat's Owner's, Capt's, and crews go beyond the call of duty to give the paying customer the best service.

However, the cattle boats that I used to fish out of Ventura and Channel Islands, were mostly hit and miss.

I did have a run in with some little turd of a deckie who was all of 19 and my Brother and I were 37,and 39 yrs old. This little deckie was being the biggest turd in the world as we were first timers on the boat, and he was favoring this regular.

The deckie actually leaned over the rail to get the regular's fish and leaned waaaay over and just flat cut my line while I was fighting a fish. Before this deckie could move, I had flipped him over the rail, into the ocean.

The next two deckies who came to his aid, went right back to their stations. The Capt. pulled his deckie in and ripped him a new butt. I had warned the Capt. about this Child and apparently he did not believe I would toss him overboard. Whoopsie.

That was a seriously rare occaission.

But like Ol Pedro says. I have seen fights break out on the day trippers and the crew instantly swarms the stupidity to gain control.
It is not tolerated for the most part.

I no longer set foot on the dayer's. I only do long range. The mindset of the long range customer and crew is diametrically opposed to the day fisher's.

The atmosphere? So much more relaxed.

But, I have also seen alot more women on the LR boats and they are extremely welcome on the boats. Shenanigans and perv's aren't tolerated either.

Posts: 893 | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Agate D , What do you mean by professional - not hardly ? I hope that you were talking about the two instances on this thread and not that I didn't read Marks suggestion . I was Offshore on Sep. 10th and the only reason that I commented on this thread is that our Tuna season ended early and I have more time to read. What you suggested to do is fine . I just don't like you generalizing (Deckie's). I hope that Carnies didn't take offence to the comparison .

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
All generalities are bulls*#t, including this one. I truly apologize for insulting all of the good, professional, and hard-working deckhands everywhere.
Having said that-I remember the boat that sailed short because a 19 yr old deckhand was in jail for DUI. I remember teaching a deckhand a palomar knot. The boats that hire good deckhands are worth riding. The rest need to be recognized-to protect us all.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Agate , We're cool . When I read threads like this it makes me want to stay in the game even more . I have had a rough Season with the Bluefish Crowd getting to me and Our Tuna Season going down the Dumper . I even considered not renewing my Ticket . Even in a declining Industry there are not enough good Deckhands/Captains in the pipe to fill all the slots . I'm going to renew and try to stay in it out of loyaly to my Crewmates and the Fishermen/Women who make it such a pleasure to be out there with .

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
One thing that most of us who fish San Diego on the long range fleet will agree to whole heartedly, the skippers and deckhands working these select boats are on the whole EXCELLENT. They have a hard job, see their loved ones and family less then they'd like, live a stressful life, but they share a common love for the sea and for fishing. That's why their attitude is excellent, their service exceptional.

I stopped by the landing yesterday morning to check in with the Red Rooster III, and the guys going on our 10 day charter. As well the wife, baby and I stopped by and said hi to Frank LoPreste and his staff. I got to say, it was not easy to bow out of this years charter and turn my bunk over to Tom from our warehouse. It promisses to be a great trip, and the guys going will have a wonderful time. A lot of familiar faces got on board, and some new folks that will have the time of their lives! We've got some folks from Alaska, Arizona, and a half dozen other states going on this trip. Lucky dargs!!!

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1537 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
I am sick that I have to miss this trip as I was booked in. My court date was changed. However, I wouldn't have made it no matter what. I was out bowhunting last Wed. nite Oct. 29th when my treestand broke.

It wasn't the fall from 15 feet that was bad. It was really somewhat peaceful.
Rather it was that darned rapid decelleration at the end that did it.
Broken right leg and knee.

Oh well. I landed on my feet and not upside down thus becoming paralyzed, so, my life is really, really great.

Good luck to all of the " Charkies " on the trip.

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
So you made Tom go on the 10 day? What a slave driver!

Piggy,
BE CAREFULL!

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
Keta. hahahahahahhahaha

I was. I simply overlooked 1 small yet crucial detail.

The moisture content of the soil.

My stand sunk into the ground, thus opening up and spilling me.

Hahahahhahahaha

I learned some lessons.

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Were you wearing your Harness ? How high was your stand ?

Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
I always wear a harness. I had gotten down to track a doe that I had arrowed.

Once I found good sign, I was on my way backup to get my bow and gear. I fell 15 feet.

I am fortunate in the fact that I only broke my leg and knee.

Oh well. I'll be sitting out this Deer season and Cow tuna season.

Captain
posted Hide Post
I keep telling Piggie that those leather and studded harnesses just won't hold up to strenous work outs. They are only for a little light tugging and strainign at the "Men's Club".

Told him he needed the new heavy duty "Sarah Palin 'Pain and Pleasure' Suspension Straps for those rigorous workouts.

Glad to hear you did not fall on your melon, Piggie.

Posts: 224 | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
news all.

I tried the " Palin Pain and Pleasure " suspension straps, they worked flawlessly.

Olliebear whipped my bare arse to a red froth with a studded riding crop. Boy was I jumping and the straps were a holding.

Whew. Man can that Ollie throw down an ass smakin.

wink wink stud muff-in.

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
So....as you lay writhing on the ground.....what happened to the deer?

Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
Wow! so succienctly put into a question.

Okay. For all of those who are worried about the Deer above and beyond all else, she was recovered by my associates.

No losses there.

Thank God priorities are in order in this world.

Agate D. What happened to the last Tuna that you caught and was left flopping, painfully, bleeding, gasping for breath on the deck, while all onboard were high fiving and slapping each other on the backs for the great catch?

To put most of you at ease, and most not.
I have never had a bow killed animal live longer than 6 seconds after shot.

Which after 40 years of fishing, makes these harvest KILLS far, F A R faster than any Tunas and or other fishes that are caught, die.

I put every shot thru both lungs and most every time thru the heart.

I practice year round and do NOT go afield until I can put 6 shots into a dime at 30 yds, or 90 feet. I am an extremely gifted shooter.

But really. If we all get off on these tangients of going after each other for our pursuits of game animals and fishes, then guess what, the anti's win and use the posts, cut and pasted to their own sites, to use against us.

Think about that.

My best to all.

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
pigsticker-you have me wrong! I am not a hunter, but I'm not anti-hunting. My great uncle was a founder of the American Field Archery. I learned to shoot on a longbow-he stopped competing because he felt recurve bows were cheating and gave people an unfair advantage.
What I meant was as your friends get you to the hospital and everything is settling down someone says "Did we forget anything?"

Just for the record-I released the last fish that I caught.